Windows Live One Care RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! Hey I am trying to back up my files using Windows One Live Care. I have BRAND NEW DVD-RW'S to back them up with, they have not been used whatsoever, just came out of the package. I keep getting error messages after back up reaches approx 45-65%, then that's discs wasted, it wants me to start all over. I know I can erase the DVD RW's and I know how to, but trying to prevent from doing this. Can you give me any tips? What are we doing wrong? Is making a back up plan necessary, I know you should back up files to help protect your PC and keep it operating right...Would someone please help me out? Your help is very much appreciated in advance...Thank You!!!  Heidi Kaplan   Heidi66717.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:57 AM

Answers

• Yes, making a backup plan is required, but you've already done this since you are performing a backup, even though it is failing.

OneCare doesn't play well with RW discs, and often will not even begin using one that has been erased or used. If you can try a DVD R disc from a brand name manufacturer, you may have better results. However, rather than spending more money on blank media, I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:00 PM

All replies

• Yes, making a backup plan is required, but you've already done this since you are performing a backup, even though it is failing.

OneCare doesn't play well with RW discs, and often will not even begin using one that has been erased or used. If you can try a DVD R disc from a brand name manufacturer, you may have better results. However, rather than spending more money on blank media, I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Thank you Steve.  Hey is there another method then besides using blank media to backup files? I couldn't find anything on that.  Heidi
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:06 AM
  • Hey, I thought I would let you know that I uninstalled Windows Live One Care and then I reinstalled it and my PC status went back to good again   we had gotten it backed up a couple days ago, then it said today my status was fair, so I did the reinstalling thing.  Have a good week! Heidi66717.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Now that you've reinstalled, you will be prompted to begin a new, full backup once again.

Yes, you can backup to blank CD/DVD, external hard drives, a network Share and some Flash based media (thumb drives, for example) as long as the Flash media is large enough to contain the backup files.

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:34 PM