missing updates- RRS feed

• Question

• Just after a tune-up was completed, Windows Live One Care displays an at risk balloon and states that there are missing updates. When you go to Windows Update and check for updates, there are none and Windows Live One Care is stating that it is up to date. So what has to be done to solve the problem? My system has Windows Vista 32 bit.

Sunday, November 2, 2008 12:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Could be the same software bug I have. You could check and see if you have any "hidden up dates", on the Windows Up Date screen, click "Restore Hidden Updates", and install them. That may fix it.

If there aren't any up dates hidden, you may have the same problem I have on vista business sp1. Wasted a lot of time trying to fix this, the problem comes and goes on patch Tuesdays. After a tune-up, I get the yellow alert, updates required, no updates available. After a real patch Tuesday update the problem goes away until I do my monthly tune-up, then it starts all over again. Bottom line, MS isn’t going to do a lot unless it is wide spread, and it appears it isn’t, so I live with it. Doesn’t seem to cause any problems except the annoying icon and balloon.

Dave Green

Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:51 PM
  • If you have no hidden or failed updates and none are offered at Windows Update, and OneCare reports that your PC is missing important updates, try the database reset tool and/or contact support.

database reset tool - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

And, Dave Green, even if it is not widespread, if it is a problem with OneCare, they will want to fix it, so please consider contacting support, even if only via email.

-steve

-steve

Monday, November 3, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  

Steve,

Spent hours with support from OneCare and Vista. I did all the standard stuff, uninstalls, resets, log files, did it all. Nothing worked. The impression I got was since it wasn’t wide spread, it was on the bottom of the list.

I worked with a Global Consumer Escalation Engineer, Microsoft Frontier Team, he couldn’t duplicate it but could see the errors in my log files I sent.

Too be fair, I requested to work with someone from the product group, and this was accepted. The only way they would work with me was remote access to my PC. I am a programmer, and I am not comfortable with someone hacking around my PC remotely, too much can go wrong. I wasted too much time so I let it drop. It comes and goes with real updates, so I live with it. I don’t believe it is wide spread, but see this popup on the forums every now and then.

Dave Green
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:59 PM
  • As long as you're willing to deal with the annoyance for now, I can understand not wanting to have someone remote into your PC to diagnose the cause. Hopefully, the problem, which is reported with some frequency, can be resolved permanently if it is a problem within OneCare and the handling of the updates catalog.

-steve

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:51 PM