how to assign a case from another entity in CRM 3.0? RRS feed

• Question

• I am working in a software developing role and i need the CRM to reassign the case to the developer that worked on
    the case, if when at the testing phase bugs are found. Lets say i develope a program and i assign the testing to a tester, the tester finds a fault and changes the status to "Developement" the crm should see that and assign the case to me automatically. Can this be done, if so how? This is urgent, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 2:07 PM

Answers

• Our organization is using CRM 3.0 in a similar context (Support/QA/Dev coordination).  

When an issue needs to be submitted for review, the user first sets the value of the status reason, and then runs a 'manual' workflow rule that performs the assignment (by checking the condition, and then re-assigning ownership to a specific user (dev team lead) - and send an e-mail notice).  The initial request was to have the user change a field and then let it fire off the workflow, but in CRM you cannot fire off a workflow from a field change event (but you can in CRM 4.0).  Yet, we know who we want to assign it to when we built the workflow.  We also assign a task for the developer, but it is not utilized much, even though it is somewhat of an audit (and 'audits' can be done in other ways). 

It is not fully automated, but it is easy to work with.  Obviously you are trying to automate the effort, so my example is likely not beneficial. 

I can't provide a fully qualified answer, but If the CRM Administrator (customizer) could create a new custom 'Dev Project' entity (relate to the Case entity) to track the development effort, I believe you would have a more precise foundation to build an escalation flow using workflow, callouts, assemblies, custom form buttons, etc. (because you could add a field on the new project entity for the assigned developer (relating to the system user entity)).  With the custom project, you can also leverage the Activities and Notes entities, to track the stages of the process/activities.  If the sdk allows for tapping into the 'Assign User' function, I would think you could pass the owner of the 'Dev Project' to it (if the CRM program can do it, you should be able to pass the variable to it).

Alternatively, you could upgrade to CRM 4.0, which provides a new set of options (as has been acknowledged).  But, even with CRM 4.0, you could possibly still benefit from the new custom 'project' entity (which means you would not have wasted your efforts if you created/deployed the custom project entity in CRM 3.0).

Todd

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:06 PM

All replies

• I'm assuming that you are not the only developer?  Out of the box workflow in 3.0 cannot say if you change the status to Development, find who the developer was, and reassign it to that person. 

In 4.0, you could do it, because you now can create an additional relationship to the system user entity and call that lookup developer to store the developer of the program. Then when the status is changed to developer, have a workflow change assigned to to = developer.

This will not work with 3.0, as multiple relationships to the same entity are not supported.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 5:03 AM
  • Can it be done with a .Net Assembly?
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:27 AM
  • could be, don't know how to do that.  One way or the other, you will need a way to programatically connect the dots to who the original developer was--is it the owner of the project entity record?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:56 PM
  • Our organization is using CRM 3.0 in a similar context (Support/QA/Dev coordination).  

When an issue needs to be submitted for review, the user first sets the value of the status reason, and then runs a 'manual' workflow rule that performs the assignment (by checking the condition, and then re-assigning ownership to a specific user (dev team lead) - and send an e-mail notice).  The initial request was to have the user change a field and then let it fire off the workflow, but in CRM you cannot fire off a workflow from a field change event (but you can in CRM 4.0).  Yet, we know who we want to assign it to when we built the workflow.  We also assign a task for the developer, but it is not utilized much, even though it is somewhat of an audit (and 'audits' can be done in other ways). 

It is not fully automated, but it is easy to work with.  Obviously you are trying to automate the effort, so my example is likely not beneficial. 

I can't provide a fully qualified answer, but If the CRM Administrator (customizer) could create a new custom 'Dev Project' entity (relate to the Case entity) to track the development effort, I believe you would have a more precise foundation to build an escalation flow using workflow, callouts, assemblies, custom form buttons, etc. (because you could add a field on the new project entity for the assigned developer (relating to the system user entity)).  With the custom project, you can also leverage the Activities and Notes entities, to track the stages of the process/activities.  If the sdk allows for tapping into the 'Assign User' function, I would think you could pass the owner of the 'Dev Project' to it (if the CRM program can do it, you should be able to pass the variable to it).

Alternatively, you could upgrade to CRM 4.0, which provides a new set of options (as has been acknowledged).  But, even with CRM 4.0, you could possibly still benefit from the new custom 'project' entity (which means you would not have wasted your efforts if you created/deployed the custom project entity in CRM 3.0).

Todd

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:06 PM