none
Upgrade vs OEM License Question RRS feed

• Question

• I am considering purchasing an Upgrade version of Ultimate.  I've read where OEM version are only valid for the motherboard on which they are first installed.  Does this restriction apply to Upgrade versions, as well?  The reason that I ask is because a motherboard and processor upgrade is probably in the cards.

Thanks!
    Friday, August 1, 2008 6:11 AM

Answers

• Quined,

Upgrade licenses depend upon the validity of the original license that it being upgraded by the upgrade.

So, by changing the motherboard and processor you would invalidate the original license if it was an OEM license, and it would follow that the upgrade license would also be invalidated.

To solve that issue, you could buy a second OEM license which would then apply to the newly installed mobo and processor, and then install your first upgrade license to upgrade the second OEM license to Ultimate, provided that you first uninstalled the upgrade from the first OEM license.

Here's a timeline:

1.  Start with OEM license on first mobo and processor.
    2.  Upgrade first OEM to Ultimate.
    3.  Decide to get better mobo and processor.
    4.  Remove upgrade to Ultimate from first OEM on first mobo and processor.  Upgrade is now a "free agent."
    5.  Remove original mobo and processor.  First OEM license stays with this pair.
    6.  Install new and improved mobo and processor.
    7.  Install new OEM (not original OEM) license to new mobo and processor.
    8.  Upgrade new OEM license on new mobo and processor with your free agent Ultimate upgrade.

Your better option might be to purchase either a full retail license for Ultimate or an OEM license for Ultimate.  Full retail is pricey but gives you the most flexibility for future hardware changes, while OEM is more economical but locks you into hardware.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, August 1, 2008 5:16 PM

All replies

• Quined,

Upgrade licenses depend upon the validity of the original license that it being upgraded by the upgrade.

So, by changing the motherboard and processor you would invalidate the original license if it was an OEM license, and it would follow that the upgrade license would also be invalidated.

To solve that issue, you could buy a second OEM license which would then apply to the newly installed mobo and processor, and then install your first upgrade license to upgrade the second OEM license to Ultimate, provided that you first uninstalled the upgrade from the first OEM license.

Here's a timeline:

1.  Start with OEM license on first mobo and processor.
    2.  Upgrade first OEM to Ultimate.
    3.  Decide to get better mobo and processor.
    4.  Remove upgrade to Ultimate from first OEM on first mobo and processor.  Upgrade is now a "free agent."
    5.  Remove original mobo and processor.  First OEM license stays with this pair.
    6.  Install new and improved mobo and processor.
    7.  Install new OEM (not original OEM) license to new mobo and processor.
    8.  Upgrade new OEM license on new mobo and processor with your free agent Ultimate upgrade.

Your better option might be to purchase either a full retail license for Ultimate or an OEM license for Ultimate.  Full retail is pricey but gives you the most flexibility for future hardware changes, while OEM is more economical but locks you into hardware.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, August 1, 2008 5:16 PM
  • I have a similar question.

A client of mine has a failed hard drive on a PC running Windows Vista.  I am going to replace the hard drive, is it OK for me to provide a OEM copy of Windows 7 with the new hard drive?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:42 PM
  • "David Millward1" wrote in message news:0e8ebeb5-9a87-4350-acea-0e52f9401aa9...

I have a similar question.

A client of mine has a failed hard drive on a PC running Windows Vista.  I am going to replace the hard drive, is it OK for me to provide a OEM copy of Windows 7 with the new hard drive?

Only if the machine concerned is licensed to run Win7 - in which case it should probably still be within warranty.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:05 AM