Network Health Critical Notifications Won't go Away RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently upgraded my main desktop machine to Windows 7.  I gave it a different user name, machine name when I installed the connector software.  The old machine (Vista Ultimate) still has a backup but backups are turned off and the old user has been deleted.

Everything works fine except that I continue to get network health warnings saying that the old machine (Vista Business) has no Anti-
    Virus or Spyware installed.  I used Norton Antivirus on the old Vista install and it always had this problem.  It seems to be fine on Windows7 but I continue to get the warnings with the name of the old installation.  How can I get rid of these?

Toby
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:12 PM

Answers

• You are correct in that I can ignore the messages and you are also correct in that they do come back.  Just sort of puzzling that these notices pop up at all for a machine that technically no longer exists.

Actually, as far as WHS is concerned, it does still exist (because it's part of the backup database).  Now if the warning hadn't occurred the last time your Vista install was running, you wouldn't have that problem.

So you are thinking that if I remove the old Vista machine from the Computers and Backup screen in the console, the messages will go away?

Thanks
    I believe so (I don't see how it could keep notifying you of a computer that, in that case, would no longer exist).  The other option would be to restore your last Vista backup, then fix the recurring notification problem (but IMO, that's way too much work  :)  ).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by tDogEast Sunday, November 8, 2009 7:27 PM
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I recently upgraded my main desktop machine to Windows 7.  I gave it a different user name, machine name when I installed the connector software.  The old machine (Vista Ultimate) still has a backup but backups are turned off and the old user has been deleted.

Everything works fine except that I continue to get network health warnings saying that the old machine (Vista Business) has no Anti-
    Virus or Spyware installed.  I used Norton Antivirus on the old Vista install and it always had this problem.  It seems to be fine on Windows7 but I continue to get the warnings with the name of the old installation.  How can I get rid of these?

Toby
    You should be able to click ignore this message in the Console.  However, I doubt that will stick permanently (my guess is it will come back after a reboot of the server).  If it does, the only feasible way to get rid of it forever would be to remove the old Vista installation from the Console.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:07 PM
  • You are correct in that I can ignore the messages and you are also correct in that they do come back.  Just sort of puzzling that these notices pop up at all for a machine that technically no longer exists.  So you are thinking that if I remove the old Vista machine from the Computers and Backup screen in the console, the messages will go away?

Thanks
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 9:15 PM
  • You are correct in that I can ignore the messages and you are also correct in that they do come back.  Just sort of puzzling that these notices pop up at all for a machine that technically no longer exists.

Actually, as far as WHS is concerned, it does still exist (because it's part of the backup database).  Now if the warning hadn't occurred the last time your Vista install was running, you wouldn't have that problem.

So you are thinking that if I remove the old Vista machine from the Computers and Backup screen in the console, the messages will go away?

Thanks
    I believe so (I don't see how it could keep notifying you of a computer that, in that case, would no longer exist).  The other option would be to restore your last Vista backup, then fix the recurring notification problem (but IMO, that's way too much work  :)  ).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by tDogEast Sunday, November 8, 2009 7:27 PM
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:16 PM