Set up a domain name failure- Please help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I ran into an issue with my Windows Home Server overnight... When I woke up this morning, I could not access my WHS website.  Like a dummy, I thought I'd just go through and re-configure things.  That was a mistake.  Here's where I'm currently stuck:

1) I turned off "Remote Access"

2) I turned "Remote Access" back on - everything worked (including, configuring router using uPnp, verifying internal website.  It get to the point where I need to setup a domain name, where I have to log into my Windows Live account (which I've done to type this message).

3) To set upa a domain name, I get a pop-up box asking for my windows live id/password.  The title of the box is "Set up a Domain Name" and the Sign into Windows Live.  I enter my Email and password (which I know is valid as I've signed into windows live to enter this message).  As soon as I enter my Email and passwork I get an Error box pop-up that says:

Domain Name setup failed

You might not be connected to the internet.  Please check you network connection and try again. 80072ee7.

My WHS is definitely connected to the internet as I'm entering this message via Internet explorer running on my WHS.  No matter what I do, I can't get past this error.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Chris

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:28 PM

All replies

• Domain configuration down..

This started happening this morning around 5am EST.

Getting error code: 80072ee7 when trying to reconfigure my domain.

I'm using the same UserID/PW has I have always done and its still failing.

• Merged by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:00 PM multiple threads on same subject
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:14 PM
  • Ah good to see I'm not the only one having issues with it. Well, not good, but you know what I mean :)

My issue is it wont refresh the IP address, tells me I probably don't have an internet connection, but the fact that I'm writing this would beg to differ

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:56 PM
  • My server told me "Your domain needs to be reconfigured.  Go to settings - remote access and reconfigure" so I released my current name and when trying to reconfigure I started getting an error that I don't have an internet connection.  I spent an hour checking port forwarding, checking the connections and rebooting multiple times to no avail.  Hoping for resolution soon!
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:12 PM
  • I am getting the same thing! What is going on???

Microsoft please let us know. I also have a client going thru the same thing.

Josh

Josh Van Den Wildenberg, MCP IT Continuity LLP
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Ditto here - getting the exact same symptom mentioned in the original post.

If I do the repair in Remote Access I get a red "X" Verifying that your remote Web site is available from the Internet.

If I do the Configure Domain Name Setup Wizard after the Email address and password are entered instant error message of -

"You might not be connected to the Internet. Please check your network connection and try again. 80072ee7"

Walked over to the WHS box, it has full access to the Internet. I can type in any Internet address and it goes to any site I request error free.

So ........................ it is definitely broken at the Microsoft bunker. :(

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Same
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Same behavior here on both my v1 and v2 boxes.

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

Ditto here - getting the exact same symptom mentioned in the original post.

If I do the repair in Remote Access I get a red "X" Verifying that your remote Web site is available from the Internet.

If I do the Configure Domain Name Setup Wizard after the Email address and password are entered instant error message of -

"You might not be connected to the Internet. Please check your network connection and try again. 80072ee7"

Walked over to the WHS box, it has full access to the Internet. I can type in any Internet address and it goes to any site I request error free.

BullDawg
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Same error here :-

Domain Name setup failed

You might not be connected to the internet.  Please check you network connection and try again. 80072ee7.

Must be problem at MS.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:37 PM
  • It's working again here in Korea.

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

Same behavior here on both my v1 and v2 boxes.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

-- BullDawg

BullDawg
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:37 PM
  • It's working again here in Korea.

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

Same behavior here on both my v1 and v2 boxes.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

-- BullDawg

BullDawg

Still not working in UK!
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Exactly the same here (located in the Netherlands). Also, since it started reporting the WHS website was broken it also began complaining that port forwarding failed. Anyone else having similar issues?
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Failing in Norway too.

What is bothering me the most is that I am getting the failure message so fast, that I can't imagine it even tries to connect first.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Still not working here.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Now working again in UK
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Failing in the US too!
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Mine just came back up here in FL.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:46 PM
  • This is an ongoing issue that Microsoft needs to resolve. Its failing every 30-45minutes and recovering 10 minutes later. I  have alerts set up that emails each time an even occurs and I'm frankly tired of seeing them coming on my inbox and cell phone. I'm about to forward each one to Microsoft support instead me seeing them. Maybe that will get their attention.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:02 PM
  • It failing every 30-45 minutes and recovering 10 minutes later. Its a continuous issue which doesnt seem to being addressed. 8 hours later and its still not fixed!

Edited: Why hasn't Microsoft posted anything?

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Ok, so my router works fine, I have internet, server and all PC are fine, and have not changed, etc.

But as of this morning I cannot refresh my domain name, it says that the windows live connection fails.
    No changes to anything on network, no new drivers, virus, router, etc nothing, not even shutdown or so, just usddenly error message.

Anybody any clue?

Perrhaps Comcast changes?

Thanks for all the great support on this forum

• Merged by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:58 PM multiple threads on same subject
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Sorry just notice many other shave same issue.

Please ignore this one, but I'm on east coast US. and it is not working now for almost 10 hrs

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Here in The Netherlands (Europe) the same problems!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Does anyone know what URL it is trying to access?  I would like to do some basic troubleshooting to see if it is networking related.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Same problem here in Sounthern California.

Everything works and cannot refresh domain name.  Windows Live fails.

Steve

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Same here. Austin, TX
    -Dat
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:42 PM
  • yourname.homeserver.com where yourname is created by the user.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Mine just came back up here in FL.

Update.  It is down again.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:12 PM
  • I am still down in KCMO [Missouri].....

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Mine juut sync'd up and was able to pull the following. Before, it was failing and not even showing it was reaching MSFT servers.

I'm curious as to why the server is trying to sync to 192.168.1.250? Its not in my routing table, host file, etc.  It sends a sync but is failing.

C:\>netstat

Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
      TCP    server:1072            server:8912            ESTABLISHED
      TCP    server:3846            server:8912            ESTABLISHED
      TCP    server:8912            server:1072            ESTABLISHED
      TCP    server:8912            server:3846            ESTABLISHED
      TCP    server:http            207.46.154.106:43135   ESTABLISHED
      TCP    server:https           207.46.154.106:43136   ESTABLISHED
      TCP    server:4874            dyndns.domains.live.com:http  ESTABLISHED
      TCP    server:4875            dnscore.domains.live.com:https  ESTABLISHED

TCP    server:4876            192.168.1.250:2161     SYN_SENT

C:\>netstat -r

IPv4 Route Table
    ===========================================================================
    Interface List
    0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
    0x10003 ...00 1c f0 9e b4 09 ...... D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev.B)
    Active Routes:
    Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
              0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    192.168.200.1  192.168.200.250     10
            127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1      1
        192.168.200.0    255.255.255.0  192.168.200.250  192.168.200.250     10
      192.168.200.250  255.255.255.255        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1     10
      192.168.200.255  255.255.255.255  192.168.200.250  192.168.200.250     10
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0  192.168.200.250  192.168.200.250     10
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255  192.168.200.250  192.168.200.250      1
    Default Gateway:     192.168.200.1
    Persistent Routes:
      None

C:\>

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:23 PM
  • I see the same here, seems Live Domain Services have their random hickup again.

Just for this case its always recommended, to configure a separate dyndns account in your router, if you need remote access and your router supports this functionality. That way you have a second way to try remote access, even with a certificate warning.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:34 PM
  • I also am in florida and it is not working here. 
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:45 PM
  • In Israel too... :-(

But at least I now know that I don't have to reinstall my server.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:53 PM
  • I have the same problem - I think it might have something to do with Certificates - if I try to go to my site internally via the IP address and log-in, it tells me:

"There is a problem with this website's security certificate. 

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address."

None the wiser for that though...
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:56 PM
  • Not working in Wisconsin.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Struggling all evening with this problem in Germany. Let's hope a fix is available tomorrow
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Same problem in Utah...
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Just worked for me.  I'm back up :)
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:20 PM
  • It is working for me now.... I did follow somethings on this website... http://benosullivan.co.uk/windows/how-to-fix-error-code-80072ee7-logging-into-windows-live-messenger/ 

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:23 PM
  • I am working again! thanks for info earlier.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Mine is working now as well...
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Works for me!!!
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Status update:

Location = Chicago suburbs

ALL my WEB sites that the Whiist Add-in "hosts" are now accessible internally and externally [off site] on the Internet.

example: http://learnabit.homeserver.com/mikephotos

But Remote access is DEAD internally or externally. http://my_server_name.com or https://my_server_name.com - - - DEAD!

Unplugged the router and cable modem for 1+ minute. [Power reset/reboot].

Went into the LinkSys router - verified ports 80, 443, 4125 opened and verified working.

Went into WHS Console settings under REMOTE ACCESS. The Domain Name passes [in the middle] passes all tests. Pressing the Refresh and all tests pass with a GREEN check mark as  A-ok.

However at the top labeled REMOTE ACCESS keeps coming up as "Not Available"

Pressing Turn off/ Turn On - same result

Pressing Repair - last line Verifying that your remote WEB site is available --- RED "X"

Confused and mad as heck. :)

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:51 PM
  • in the Netherlands it still is not working for me, but I did some digging....

it looks as if the dns is giving problems;

I have my own dns server that forward requests for outside domains to my provider dns servers;

When I request to resolve the dyndns.domains.live.com address, I get only a name back, no Ip;

the (new) record in cache for [dyndns.domains.live.com]  from my dns however contains a pointer to name-servers on the micorsoft domain.

When I switch with nslookup to one of those servers, I get an IP address back, but with an weird issue with the name;

my own domain name is added...

c:\>nslookup
    Default Server:  localhost
    Address:  127.0.0.1

> www.webwereld.nl
    Server:  localhost

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    www.webwereld.nl
    Address:  85.112.20.85

> dyndns.domains.live.com

Name:    dyndns.domains.live.com

> ns1.msft.net

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    ns1.msft.net
    Address:  65.55.37.62

> server ns1.msft.net
    Default Server:  ns1.msft.net

> dyndns.domains.live.com
    Server:  ns1.msft.net

Name:    dyndns.domains.live.com. followed by my [own-domain-name]
    Addresses:  207.46.31.61, 65.55.39.12

>

switching my dns server to forward requests to ns1.msft.net (microsoft name server);

I then can start the wizard and see progress where it first would break away; but then the answer becomes: Live_ID server not available.

I 'll wait for tomorrow.....

gr.,

tech-geek

One last trick I did;

In my dns-server config I added a separate domain forward set for dyndns.domains.live.com and set the nameserver to be ns1.msft.net for that zone.

restarted dns-server; restarted dhcp client & dns client (on the whs box) and ran the wizard what completed succssfully now....

So it really is an dns issue  with the windowslive domain records on the internet I assume

for now I 'll check tomorrow again.

gr.,

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Mine is back up, still would be nice from MS to explain.

Josh

Josh Van Den Wildenberg, MCP IT Continuity LLP
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:45 PM
  • Still the same this morning in the Netherlands.
    Will try again later today.

Arno

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Doesn't work in Gothenburg, Sweden either.

Per

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:04 AM
  • Down in Portland, Oregon as of 19:03 PM PDT

Since I can access my WHS by the internet IP address I'd say this is an MS DNS problem.  Hope it is fixed soon.

Friday, May 4, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Down in Texas for two days

• Edited by Jazo97 Friday, May 4, 2012 3:13 AM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 3:13 AM
  • Down in the San Francisco Bay Area also as of about 3 hours ago.  I have internet access, just no ability to update the live domain details for the *.homeserver.com live domain
    Friday, May 4, 2012 3:35 AM
  • Ditto here in Lisle IL. Every time I try to recover my domain name I get this error:

The following error occurred during Domain Name Setup:

The system cannot find the path specified: 80070003

Could this have something to do with Microsoft killing all the Windows Live Small Business accounts?

I can still use my username to login to Windows Live. That's despite the fact that they announced they were cutting services to all their Windows Live accounts on April 30th 2012.

I've got a Windows 365 account set up to "transition" away from my Windows live small business account. But I tried that user name in the domain name setup wizard and got the same error message.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on?

Robert (Bob) Blomeyer

rblomeyer@earthlink.et

Friday, May 4, 2012 4:17 AM
  • I am getting a similar alert on WHS v1 here in Korea.  It started within the last 6 hours.

"Windows Home Server cannot connect to Windows Live (TM) Custom Domains servers"
    and that my WHS cannot connect to Windows Live (TM). However, I can still connect to my WHS web page from outside my network, so I suspect the problem is with the Windows Live (TM) Custom Domain servers. I have a dynamic ip address, but it hasn't changed in over two years.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : The following error occurred during Domain Name Setup:
    :
    : The system cannot find the path specified: 80070003
    :
    : Could this have something to do with Microsoft killing all the Windows Live Small Business accounts?
    :
    : I can still use my username to login to Windows Live. That's despite the fact that they announced they were cutting services to all their Windows Live accounts on April 30th 2012.
    :
    : I've got a Windows 365 account set up to "transition" away from my Windows live small business account. But I tried that user name in the domain name setup wizard and got the same error message.
    :
    : Does anyone have a clue what's going on?
    :
    : Robert (Bob) Blomeyer
    :
    : rblomeyer@earthlink.et <mailto:rblomeyer@earthlink.et>
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

BullDawg