MCITP or MCSA Winows Server 2012?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am new in the IT field aside from having some basic knowledge like A+ and some computer troubleshooting skills.  So I want to take one of the Microsoft exams, and I was going to take MCITP Windows Server 2008.  However, I am hearing that there is now the New MCSA Windows Server 2012, so I have the following questions.

1. As a person being new in the IT field, should I even take either of of the two, MCITP Win Server 2008 or MCSA Win server 2012?

2. If Yes, should I just study the latest MCSA Win Server 2012, or do you recommend I study MCITP first?

(Just as a side note, though I am aware MCSA Win Server 2012 is still very new, I tend to take a long time to study things, so by the time I finish studying it, it will definitley be much later sometime in 2013.)

Any feedback would be highly appreciated!

Friday, October 19, 2012 4:09 PM

Answers

• If you are new to these subjects, please note that a MCITP requires a substantial amount of knowledge, so there'll be a lot of things that you need to study. Most of these things are common to Windows Server 2008 and 2012, only a relatively minor number of features (when compared to the total knowledge required by a MCITP or MCSA) are new to version 2012. Which means that it won't make much of a difference for you to prepare for 2012 instead of 2008.

Keeping in mind that premise, and also the fact that you expect to take a long time to study, I suggest that you pursue the latest certification which will be much more current by the time that you take the exam. In fact, if I recall correctly, there are several exams related to the 2008 versions of Microsoft products that are scheduled to be retired during 2013, so if you are not going to take them soon, it is better to prepare for version 2012.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, October 19, 2012 10:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Torguy Monday, October 22, 2012 3:29 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Agree with Alberto.  If you don't have any existing 2008 certifications which can be used to fast-track to MCSA: 2008, you'd be better off going straight to MCSA: 2012, especially considering that a number of the 2008 exams are scheduled for retirement on 31st July 2013 http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-lifecycle.aspx 

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:28 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 10:26 PM

All replies

• If you are new to these subjects, please note that a MCITP requires a substantial amount of knowledge, so there'll be a lot of things that you need to study. Most of these things are common to Windows Server 2008 and 2012, only a relatively minor number of features (when compared to the total knowledge required by a MCITP or MCSA) are new to version 2012. Which means that it won't make much of a difference for you to prepare for 2012 instead of 2008.

Keeping in mind that premise, and also the fact that you expect to take a long time to study, I suggest that you pursue the latest certification which will be much more current by the time that you take the exam. In fact, if I recall correctly, there are several exams related to the 2008 versions of Microsoft products that are scheduled to be retired during 2013, so if you are not going to take them soon, it is better to prepare for version 2012.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, October 19, 2012 10:26 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Agree with Alberto.  If you don't have any existing 2008 certifications which can be used to fast-track to MCSA: 2008, you'd be better off going straight to MCSA: 2012, especially considering that a number of the 2008 exams are scheduled for retirement on 31st July 2013 http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-lifecycle.aspx 

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:28 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 10:26 PM