Automatic Workflow for Birthday Reminders RRS feed

• Question

•  

I would like to create a workflow that automatically emails our receptionist 5 days before a contact birthday so she's reminded to prepare a card for that contact.  Our system only has about 30 or less contacts that have this option checked, not that thats relevant to the workflow.  Anyhow, Im fairly new to CRM and these workflows are tricky!  Any help would be appreciated Smile
    Monday, October 13, 2008 9:37 PM

Answers

•  

Well, thiss is not beyond the scope of workflow functionality. You need to think a bit and plan your fuctionality. Since workflow normally waits for a future date so let me give you a simple no code solution for this.

- Create a custom field at contact named next birthday

- Create two workflows:

1) Update Next Birthday (This workflow sets the next birthday first time and will not execute thereafter)

Fire this workflow on create of contact/account or on change of birthday field.

If Birthday contains data Then

Update Contact Next Birthday Field by adding 12 Months in Birthday field

2) Birthday Reminder (This workflow sends reminder emails and updates Next Borthday Field after each execution by adding 12 months)

If Next Birthday contains data Then

Wait untill 5 days Before Birthday

Send Email reminder to user - Receptionist

Update Next Birthday = After 12 months of next birthday

I have not yet tried this at my system. But i believe it should work. For any issues, contact me at email.

Cheers,

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:29 PM

All replies

• Proposed as answer by vasubabuk Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:12 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Hi Matt,

You can schedule a SRS report to run weekly that e-mails all upcoming birthdays for the week. You can select from the filtered views and use DAY() and MONTH() functions to extract a person's birthday and ignore the year. We recently included this in our bulk e-mail solution (http://www.ver206.com/mail.html) as a client wanted weekly reminders in addition to daily reminders.

Let me know if you want the SQL, I'll have to look it up.

Cheers,

Karlo

Monday, October 13, 2008 11:13 PM
  • Karlo,

I didn't think this would be so complicated!  Sending an automatic email sounds easy...Unfortunately my knowledge in SQL Reporting Services, as well as SQL, is zero.  I wasn't expecting to use code to accomplish this workflow.  Is something like this beyond the built in functionality of CRM workflows?

Thanks for the response though, I appreciate all the help I can get on this...

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:14 PM
  • Sorry for the double post, but remember...I would like the workflow to send an email to our receptionist, not the contact whos birthday it is, to remind her to prepare a physical card that will be mailed out.

I was experimenting with the "If Contact:Birthday Card equals [Yes], then:" "Wait until Workflow - Execution Time on [ Days : 5 Before Contact:Birthday], then:"...but I wasnt sure how to complete it.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:18 PM
  • Hey Matt.

Personally, the workflow solution is a bit too complex for my liking but seems fairly popular to send birthday emails. There is a fair bit of coding involved but this is our weekly birthday email. Contact and Company onclick goes directly to the actual entity in MS CRM. Benefit is there is no reliance on workflows.

I put a quick article (http://karlov206.spaces.live.com/) together with sql. In essence the SQL is basic

select * from filteredcontact where day(birthdate) = @day and month(birthdate) = @month and emailaddress1 is not null

Our weekly email looks like this:

* Drop me an e-mail if stuck.

Cheers,

karlo

Upcoming birthdays : 2008/10/06 - 2008/10/13

Monday 2008/10/06

Guy Lafonte(26)

- Contoso

Mike Smith(31)

- Version 206

Tuesday 2008/10/07

Caroline Jones(33)

- Version 206

Andrew Smith(46)

Wednesday 2008/10/08

- none

Thursday 2008/10/09

James Smith(57)

- Fabrikam

Pierce Jameson(30)

Friday 2008/10/10

- none

Saturday 2008/10/11

Mary Slattery(35)

Sunday 2008/10/12

- none

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Ayaz,

To your knowledge, is something like this beyond the scope of normal CRM workflow functionality?  This seems like such a simple task...

Karlo,

Thanks for your responses, I would like to stay away from as much coding as possible...

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:23 PM
  •  

Well, thiss is not beyond the scope of workflow functionality. You need to think a bit and plan your fuctionality. Since workflow normally waits for a future date so let me give you a simple no code solution for this.

- Create a custom field at contact named next birthday

- Create two workflows:

1) Update Next Birthday (This workflow sets the next birthday first time and will not execute thereafter)

Fire this workflow on create of contact/account or on change of birthday field.

If Birthday contains data Then

Update Contact Next Birthday Field by adding 12 Months in Birthday field

2) Birthday Reminder (This workflow sends reminder emails and updates Next Borthday Field after each execution by adding 12 months)

If Next Birthday contains data Then

Wait untill 5 days Before Birthday

Send Email reminder to user - Receptionist

Update Next Birthday = After 12 months of next birthday

I have not yet tried this at my system. But i believe it should work. For any issues, contact me at email.

Cheers,

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:29 PM
  • Hi follow the below

http://bproud2banindian.blogspot.com/

Sudhanshu

Monday, September 20, 2010 11:02 AM
  • By adding just 12 months, doesn't it just bring the next birthday to the next year, but not necessarily this year?

For example a birthday on 1/31/1980, if you run this workflow, doesn't the next birthday just show up as 1/31/1981? vs. 1/31/(this year)? Thanks for clarifying.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:09 PM
  • can you tell me how to loop for next year b'day. make w/f run everyday does not seems good idea..
    Saturday, November 25, 2017 4:39 AM