Broken Custom Entity in CRM4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a small problem with what appears to be a broken custom entity in CRM 4.0 and was wondering if anyone had encountered anything like this / knew what to do to resolve the problem.

I have created a custom entity titled "Activity Report" made a few basic changes (added some attributes, dome some basic form layout) and then exported it. I've then gone back in and made several more changes (added more attributes and another tab to the form). Now, when I try to re-export the entity I receive the following block of XML:

<error xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
      <displaytitle />
      <displaytext />
      <description>An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.</description>
      <file>Not available</file>
      <line>Not available</line>
      <details>Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.</details>
      <requesturl>http://neo/Bistech/_grid/cmds/dlg_exportcustomizations.aspx</requesturl>
      <pathAndQuery>/Bistech/_grid/cmds/dlg_exportcustomizations.aspx</pathAndQuery>
      <source>XML</source>
      <stacktrace />
    </error>

Thinking I'd somehow managed to corrup the entity I decided to delete it and import my earlier working version. No joy; when I try to delete it CRM gives me an error box with the ever useful message "An error has occured". I've attempted to manually delete the attributes that I have created since my first backup, but encounter the same error dialogue when I try this.
    Lastly I tried to import my saved version over the top of the now broken version. This appeared to work initially and the form reverted to it's previous layout, however the second batch of attributes still exist and I am still unable to delete/export the resulting entity.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance,
    Pete

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:24 PM

Answers

• So I've had another look at this today after having rested my eyes over night and I think I've cracked it!

I opened the form designer and noticed that one of the lookup fields was missing the light blue border you usually get around form fields. Thinking that this was rather odd I checked the N:1 relationships and discovered that the relationship was infact missing! I recreated the relationship, giving it the same name as before, and then went back to the form designer. Sure enough the blue border had returned. I am now able to delete the offending entity with no further problems.

I've no closer to understanding how this happened, but there you have it.

-Pete

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hi.

I experienced the same problem after adding a new iframe with a very long report URL. Is that the case?

Adi

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Hi Adi,

No, I haven't added an iFrame to the form. I had added some JavaScript to the onLoad event, but nothing to long, about 10-15 lines at the most.

-Pete

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:32 AM
  • So I've had another look at this today after having rested my eyes over night and I think I've cracked it!

I opened the form designer and noticed that one of the lookup fields was missing the light blue border you usually get around form fields. Thinking that this was rather odd I checked the N:1 relationships and discovered that the relationship was infact missing! I recreated the relationship, giving it the same name as before, and then went back to the form designer. Sure enough the blue border had returned. I am now able to delete the offending entity with no further problems.

I've no closer to understanding how this happened, but there you have it.

-Pete

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:24 AM
  • Thank you my friend, this help me, I was almost desperate...

Good Answer...
    Monday, January 25, 2010 11:49 PM