WHS final release RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I did understand that in the final release there will be just a WHS which have to be connected with just two wires: the network cable and the power supply.

As it is now, you have to change manually in WHS the networkgroup (standard = WORKGROUP) but many people have renamed this in HOME or something else. In Beta2 you have also give a password to enter the WHS. Therefore you can use the remote desktop function but that is not the way it is now, in the beta2 you provide the WHS with this information during install or later. It is just a documentation issue.  I can imagine that people want install some software at the server e.g. AV, you can drag the software to the server and install it with the remote desktop? I think a diskdrive or a USB port will be usefull.

Harold

Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:09 PM

Answers

• At a guess, I's say you are underestimating the level of pre-installation and setup that would be built-in to the the black box solutions. Users who buy those will want the minimal of setup headaches. They are likely to need only

• Buy the thing
    • Attach it to network
    • Switch on
    • Access it via Connect, at which point the Server will ask for a password
    • Complete configuration - shares etc.

Users building their own machines, like we have, need a different experience, and that's what we have been using.

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:22 PM
  • In addition to that, I believe that any "tweaking" that we want to do, like change the workgroup, load AV software, etc. can be completed using remote desktop. That is how I have performed all of the maintenance so far on my WHS. The server is upstairs and I rarely go up to ever see the console. Removing the graphics card, etc. will also reduce the ultimate cost of the server for the consumer.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:22 AM

All replies

• On the HP MediaSmart server there will be space for 4 Hard disks, and two USB 2.0 ports on the front of the device. You could then use an external cd-rom drive or usb key to install software, but remember this isnt meant to be used as a normal PC.
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:13 PM
  • At a guess, I's say you are underestimating the level of pre-installation and setup that would be built-in to the the black box solutions. Users who buy those will want the minimal of setup headaches. They are likely to need only

• Buy the thing
    • Attach it to network
    • Switch on
    • Access it via Connect, at which point the Server will ask for a password
    • Complete configuration - shares etc.

Users building their own machines, like we have, need a different experience, and that's what we have been using.

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The second part of my question you've answered. However not for the first part. How will the WHS in the final release find the name of the workgroup? If you buy a WHS, connect the two cables, you will not been connected because it is possible the WHS is not in the same workgroup as your homecomputer(s). My suggestions are:

1) make a wizard to install on your home computer to find the installed WHS and then start a installation wizard were you can change the workgroup name and may be other parameters as well if necessary.

OR

2) for installation purpuse lets install a keybord and monitor and change with a wizard the name of the workgroup to a name of the workgroup your home computers are already in.

OR (but not recommended)

3) to describe in the manual that you have to set the name of the workgoup to a default  e.g. "HOME"

May be other solutions are possible, but is this taken into account for the final release of WHS?

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:32 PM
  • In addition to that, I believe that any "tweaking" that we want to do, like change the workgroup, load AV software, etc. can be completed using remote desktop. That is how I have performed all of the maintenance so far on my WHS. The server is upstairs and I rarely go up to ever see the console. Removing the graphics card, etc. will also reduce the ultimate cost of the server for the consumer.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:22 AM
  •  Tom Ziegmann (MS) wrote:
    On the HP MediaSmart server there will be space for 4 Hard disks, and two USB 2.0 ports on the front of the device. You could then use an external cd-rom drive or usb key to install software, but remember this isnt meant to be used as a normal PC.

Minor correction, the MediaSmart Server actually has one USB port on the front, and 3 on the back of the unit.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:25 PM
  • i would like to see the home server, when you are installing the computers thru the connect software, go in and change the network group name, to whatever is already on the real (non home server) computer's or have it randomly generate a new network name as part of the installation of the home server software on the "server" box and then when you use the connect software, it updates the computers network name to the one of the home server.  I hope that makes sense.

Lets remember that most of the clients that this product is targeted to, is home users,. that when they add a wireless router do not take any steps to change the default settings, and have no idea what a network name is.

I also believe that the vista home basic and home premium software should be supported for remote access, after all this is going to be HOME server.

patrick higgins

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:50 AM
  • I'll point out that, if you don't change the workgroup name for WHS to match the other computers on your network, nothing bad happens. You can still access shares, you can still back up and restore PCs, you can still access WHS through the Remote Access web site.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:10 PM