How does Mesh sync? RRS feed

• Question

• I use several folders for client documents. For Example-live jobs go into a folder with 107 subfolders and 1400 files. The total size is 990MB. Does mesh rewrite this whole folder each time it sync's or does it just look for and rewrite changed files? The first sync is taking all day so I'm hoping that it's a one time thing and that future syncs will go faster...It's a great idea for a product (today is my first day using it) and I agree it needs to be able to handle Outlook files too-
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:36 PM

Answers

• After the initial sync Live Mesh should only sync new or changed files.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:13 AM

All replies

• After the initial sync Live Mesh should only sync new or changed files.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:13 AM
  • Please keep in mind that Live Mesh is a beta, so make sure that your data is backed up to another location that is not part of the Mesh in case of data loss.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Jim- thanks for the response-that's what I was hoping for. HOwever, once the initial sync has been performed, I worked on one machine over the weekend, and have now (wednesday) turned the other one on, logged in to Live Mesh etc. and there's no sync taking place. The news on both devices omits all the work over the weekend, while the news on the website (Live Desktop) has all the activity that took place. I am using this in peer-to-peer mode and not loading these folders onto the Live Desktop- what am I doing wrong? Both devices' folders that i want to sync are set to sync whenever there are changes to files etc.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:39 PM
  • How long have you waited and is the other machine on and available for sync? If you are only doing P2P sync, the files cannot be synchronized unless both machines are on and have a connection.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Both machines on all morning and connected-
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Have either or both machines been rebooted recently? In the past, when I've encountered a PC that fails to sync when new or changed files are available from the Mesh, I've found that rebooting and reconnecting sometimes helps kick start things. Why, I don't know.
    -steve
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Saw that on several other threads so I tried that-rebooted both machines. While all my file changes etc. are shown on the "news feed" on the Mesh website, none of the syncs have taken place, and none of thos file activities is recognized on either machine in the Live Mesh window attached to each scyn'd folder on my local desktops-the last sync took place 10.29.09, none after that-
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Hmmm.... Might be time to submit a bug report with logs per the details here:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you probably won't get a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

And do let us know if the sync mysteriously starts again...
    -steve

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:26 PM
  • NOpe- still nothing as of yet (all day both machines have been on and logged in). I can use LIve Desktop, remote dt etc., but no sync. SUbmitted the bug report and attached the logs (even that was weird, though, since halfway through the upload IE8 quit, so I don't know if they uploaded or not, really) The idea for this program is great, but I'll have to keep looking for a working solution-since it doesn't appear that this really works yet. I'll wait a day or so b4 giving up, but I don't want to unistall/reinstall everything-that took all day with the folders I had to sync, so that's a pretty unappetizing option.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:58 PM
  • JUst did a "Repair Live Mesh" to each device, that seemed to get everyhting back in sync-no pun intended. Have no clue what interrupted the flow-btw-repairing only one device didn't do the trick, had to do both... They are syncing right now, I'll let you know if there's another issue on this thread-
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Spoke too soon- rebooting the laptop- all that got in sync so far was the "news feed"-hopefully the files will follow after a reboot-
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:28 PM
  • NOpe- so far just the news feed. After working w/an excel file on the desktop, the news feed for the desktop updated (after save and close etc.) but so far there hasn't been a sync w/the laptop of w/either the news or the file....I'll wait a little bit and see what happens.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:52 PM
  • I clicked on one of the files in the news feed on the laptop, and that seemed to prompt it to sync up-everything came accross that has been worked on for the last few days, and, for now, it's all in sync....
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Thanks for submitting the bug report, Rob, and I hope that your efforts to kick start it have now paid off and that it keeps working as expected.
    -steve
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:52 PM