WHS system restore....can't find server RRS feed

• Question

• Oh yeah more WHS problems....and little hope of answers anywhere....

So. Can't find the server from the PC restore.....yep. one of the reason I bought this thing was for ease of restoration. THree years later and the first restoration I have to do...hit hte wall.

The PC was so fried I had to reinstall XP first.....then I installed Home Server software....I connected easily.

Okay, I thought. Let's restore the C drive with all the software and files I need.

"Network Error has occurred - please verify your network connection is active and that your WHS is powered on..."

Well...I know it's on...because I can see it from my other PC laptop...

And I know it;s the right name because...well that's what it's called........

Anyone got some suggestions?

Monday, July 26, 2010 8:22 PM

All replies

• What for a client do you try to restore? Do you restore over a wired or a wireless connection? Does ipconfig /all on any client show a DNS Suffix? (If so, the router thinks, that the DNS server at your ISP is authoritative for the name you are searching and either providing no answer or a fake answer.

For an OS restore you should download the latest client restore CD from Microsoft, unpack the ISO file and burn a CD from it.
    If you boot from that system and it does not find the server, you can try an USB stick with extracted Vista drivers for your network card.

Plaese check also the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.

Good luck
    Olaf

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Olaf

Thank for the valient effort and response...

But as it turns out...the real answer is that for a wired network the restore disk has a mini OS boot up which doesn't include all the parameters and drivers for custom machines.

So, the issue was the NVDIA network controller.

Simple solution....plug the ethernet cable into the motherboard...not the PCI card....(gigbit network)

wow..

Again...Microsoft user acceptance testing fails....how they thought they could convince consumers to buy this now or later is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond me.

And why Apple is gaining ground.....

STeve Balmer....r u listening?????? In a nutshell this is what's wrong with MS.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Olaf

Thank for the valient effort and response...

But as it turns out...the real answer is that for a wired network the restore disk has a mini OS boot up which doesn't include all the parameters and drivers for custom machines.

So, the issue was the NVDIA network controller.

Simple solution....plug the ethernet cable into the motherboard...not the PCI card....(gigbit network)

wow..

Again...Microsoft user acceptance testing fails....how they thought they could convince consumers to buy this now or later is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond me.

And why Apple is gaining ground.....

STeve Balmer....r u listening?????? In a nutshell this is what's wrong with MS.

Did you copy the contents of the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder to a USB flash drive to use during the restore process?
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:13 AM