ICE confused about stitching, and / or misrepresents the span in degrees of a panorama? RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes ICE stitches together photos and believes they total, for example, 355° when I know it's closer to 180°.  This is a problem when I post to BING because now I can't do "alignment" properly (fantastic feature BTW).

Is there any way to "help" ICE patch together JPEGs?  Is there any way I can override how much of 360° the composite is?

Thanks.

PS An example of this is the following, which I KNOW is closer to 180° than what ICE figured.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=beac9b3b-6d25-4b40-bb8a-4333b65f6757&m=false&i=0:0:0&c=0:0:0&z=530.956928762227&d=-1.21600440483127:-1.21588070058418:-1.20477112305766&p=0:0&t=False

PPS I'm on XP SP3, 4 GB RAM, lots of hard disk space, no crashes (of ICE).
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 1:45 PM

All replies

• What type of source images are you using  (jpeg, tiff, ...)?  If the source images have the focal length EXIF tags (normally in jpegs) then ICE generally does a better job computing the field of view.

If you are a Photoshop user, then another option is to load the result into Photoshop, and export to Photosynth via our plugin (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/PSPlugin/)  this will let you directly specify the field of view of the panorama.

Monday, September 5, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Thanks Matt.  They are all JPEGs.  The focal length EXIF tags are available and populated.

I was wondering if I can "help" ICE stitch the photos?   I use Panasonic's panorama mode to semi-carefully overlap a third of each photo left to right, and the photos number sequentially so it's "obvious" to me how they fit together, but ICE is still sometimes confused about which photo goes where and may exclude them.    I know I can do this manually, but then it's harder to upload into Photosynth and pan.  I do not have advanced photo stitching s/w at hand.

I love the automation, but if that fails, could it prompt me "hey, where roughly does photo 100-0117.jpg fit in?"

Thx,

John

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Have you tried the File:New Structured Panorama ... workflow?  Using that dialog you should be able to indicate the left-right order and the 1/3 overlap.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Oh, I hadn't!  I understood that was for a more mechanical system, but I guess our Panasonic feature is relatively mechanical.  I'll give it a shot - thanks, Matt.

The other issue still remains: if the source photos still aren't 360, but I have recorded the total angle from left to right, how can I correct ICE's estimate of the range?

Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:19 PM
  • The Structured Panorama interface seems to work well, but ICE still tries to reshuffle the photos even if I set the layout to be 41 columns x 1 row, 25% overlap (auto), and 30% feature matching search radius (or the default 10%).  The funny thing is, the preview looks right (sorted according to sequence I shot them in and imported), but after the operation, they are scanned back into the wrong order as per the auto-pano function.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 5:45 PM
  • That's very puzzling.  I really don't understand how the re-ordering after structured panorama could happen.  If you want to share the source images with me (for example on https://skydrive.live.com/) I could take a look on my end.

Unfortunately, there is currently no way for you to correct for focal length in ICE.

Friday, September 9, 2011 3:12 AM
  • Matt, thanks for offering to look at this.  I've uploaded a set of photos that exhibit this problem, and added the preview that seems to show them properly ordered in the structured panorama before running the process.  Not sure how to send you the link or give you permission to my folder on Skydrive.

Thanks!

Friday, September 9, 2011 2:22 PM
  • You can either post the link here, or email it to us at hdview@microsoft.com

Friday, September 9, 2011 3:29 PM
  • I think that you sent us your data set last week.  If so you didn't set the appropriate permissions on skydrive.  I responded to the linked email address, but perhaps you don't check this email account?
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:39 PM