CRM 3 Deployment Manager does not show 'Server Manager' RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to move the SQL database from one server to another one, I have followed the MS article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917948 but at some point the 'Server Manager' option from the CRM Deployment Manager console has vanished.  All I am left with is the 'Licence Manager' folder. 

The option used to be there, but when I went to select the SQL server it would say 'No Microsoft CRM database found on this server', so I had been playing with the ODBC connections etc, and now when I came back to the Deployment Manager the option has vanished!  I have restarted the CRM server but this made no difference, it is still missing.

I have tried to search MS site (and google) for a solution but nothing relevant has come up. 

Does anyone know a) how I managed to remove the Server Manager option, and b) how I can get it back!? 

PS> CRM is still working with the data on the old SQL server (thank goodness!) but we do need to be able to move the database...

<EDIT> I have found a post saying this can occur if the logged in user doesn't have rights to CRM, I am a domain administrator and a member of the CRM users group so this should NOT be the cause.  However, if I log in as another admin (with the same rights) the missing entries are available, so it is indeed something to do with my user profile or domain rights.  Still looking for a solution. </EDIT>

Thanks

Matthew

Sunday, February 3, 2008 8:07 PM

Answers

•  

CRM only gives access to users that are registered in the CRM database. Any one of those CRM users can be designated a CRM system administrator.

CRM users are added from the Active Directory. A CRM user maps to a single Active Directory user account. AD groups are not used to give access to CRM. The CRM setup program does create some groups but these are used to manage other aspects of the CRM system (such as access to the SQL Server).

Just because you are a Domain Administrator will not necessarily give you rights to manage the CRM system.

Whilst you are logged in as the other admin account that seems to work, navigate your way in CRM to Settings, Users and check whether your admin account that doesn't work is listed as a CRM user. I'm guessing it isn't; so add the user and give it the system administrator role.

BTW, Is the new server in a different domain from the original one? If so, you may need to run the CRM redeployment tool to associate the CRM users in the database with active directory accounts in the new domain.

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:43 AM

All replies

•  

CRM only gives access to users that are registered in the CRM database. Any one of those CRM users can be designated a CRM system administrator.

CRM users are added from the Active Directory. A CRM user maps to a single Active Directory user account. AD groups are not used to give access to CRM. The CRM setup program does create some groups but these are used to manage other aspects of the CRM system (such as access to the SQL Server).

Just because you are a Domain Administrator will not necessarily give you rights to manage the CRM system.

Whilst you are logged in as the other admin account that seems to work, navigate your way in CRM to Settings, Users and check whether your admin account that doesn't work is listed as a CRM user. I'm guessing it isn't; so add the user and give it the system administrator role.

BTW, Is the new server in a different domain from the original one? If so, you may need to run the CRM redeployment tool to associate the CRM users in the database with active directory accounts in the new domain.

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:43 AM
  • hi,

Which user installed the crm? Because deployment manager works only this user.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 3:28 PM
  • hi,

Which user installed the crm? Because deployment manager is working with this user.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 3:30 PM