WHS PP1 (RTM) Hangs on HP EX475 with dual 500GB HDD and third 1TB drive RRS feed

• Question

• Prior to the RTM release of PP1 I did not experience any problems like I am about to describe

Now that the RTM version of PP1 has been released I decided to reset my EX475 back to factory defaults and do a rebuild from the bare metal up.

I now have a PP1 based server with only the 2 add ins which come with PP1 which are the Norton package and the PV Media server

I have installed the HP Mediasmart update.

What appears to happen is the server will start up normally and then after about a variable period of time hang and not allow any browsing of either shares or web pages. However the device still responds to a ping and there are no worrying lights on the front of the unit.A telnet to port 80 gets a response of invalid verb (to be expected)

I have downloaded and run the diagnostic tool but it can't seemt to connect so the results are fairly meaningless.

It appears to happen when ripping music to the shared folders using WMP11 which I'm assuming is supported (rather than ripping to a local hard disk on the client and then copying)

The problem is the same from multiple clients so I believe the problem is at the server end

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this further?

Dave

Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:23 PM

All replies

• Dave,

Remove the two HP Add-Ins, they appear to slow the server down dramatically, particularly the PVConnect, as it immediately starts to index all files on the server.

Colin

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:39 PM
  •  Bugsy1957 wrote:

What appears to happen is the server will start up normally and then after about a variable period of time hang and not allow any browsing of either shares or web pages. However the device still responds to a ping and there are no worrying lights on the front of the unit.A telnet to port 80 gets a response of invalid verb (to be expected)

I have downloaded and run the diagnostic tool but it can't seemt to connect so the results are fairly meaningless.

It appears to happen when ripping music to the shared folders using WMP11 which I'm assuming is supported (rather than ripping to a local hard disk on the client and then copying)

The problem is the same from multiple clients so I believe the problem is at the server end

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this further?

Dave

Hi Dave,

When the server is responsive, can you pull CABs for us and submit a bug here?  Instructions for using the WHS toolkit to obtain CABS can be found here.  The bug report and CABS will help us determine what is happening with this machine.

Thank you

Lara Jones

Windows Home Server

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Many thanks to both of the posters for their comments.

Certainly removing both of the HP plugins (Norton and PVConnect) allowed me to rip content to the WHS without it hanging so that is a work around which I appreciate

When I am next at home I will attempt to reproduce the problem and pull the cabs as described.

My suspicion is that the problem *may* be that I believe pvconnect maybe doing a scan when content is added to the WHS but with the number of files we are talking about (1000+ media files) the system just locks up.

As I say this is speculation at the moment but is based on my experience of Twonkymedia 4.4.5 which I believe is the consumer equivalent of PVConnect.

Monday, August 4, 2008 8:10 AM