none
Windows 10 Issues

Question

• The free pushed Windows 10 upgrade was scheduled and executed.

Initially, I was having problems saving files, kept getting a message that I needed to be an administrator, and I am.  This is a home office PC that only I use.  Then I got a message that there was a critical error with the start menu, and I couldn't get to anything using the start menu.  I had to go to the program folders and create shortcuts for my programs.  I found a fix based on someone else having the same problem, but it didn't work.  I rebooted my PC and it just sat at the start screen for about an hour.  After that I got a message stating that Windows could not start and was put into a screen with several options to correct the problem, but none of them worked.

Finally, I went to the command prompt and saw that there were no files on my C: drive, but there were files on the D: drive.  I then performed a backup from the BIOS/System setup screen by hitting ESC during the boot cycle.  I have an HP Desktop.  Where can I find/get help to recover/restore my PC?  Every option that I tried said that I would not lose my data, so I hope I still have it.

HELP!!!
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• The free pushed Windows 10 upgrade was scheduled and executed.

Initially, I was having problems saving files, kept getting a message that I needed to be an administrator, and I am.  This is a home office PC that only I use.  Then I got a message that there was a critical error with the start menu, and I couldn't get to anything using the start menu.  I had to go to the program folders and create shortcuts for my programs.  I found a fix based on someone else having the same problem, but it didn't work.  I rebooted my PC and it just sat at the start screen for about an hour.  After that I got a message stating that Windows could not start and was put into a screen with several options to correct the problem, but none of them worked.

Finally, I went to the command prompt and saw that there were no files on my C: drive, but there were files on the D: drive.  I then performed a backup from the BIOS/System setup screen by hitting ESC during the boot cycle.  I have an HP Desktop.  Where can I find/get help to recover/restore my PC?  Every option that I tried said that I would not lose my data, so I hope I still have it.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

I'd ask over here (Participate -> Ask a Question):

Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Answers

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:06 PM
  • Try restarting your computer a few times, because I had some problems after I installed Win 10, and I restarted my computer about 3 times and everything was working perfectly.

Devon

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:06 PM