Wireless problems with Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a new Acer Aspire 5735 and I'm having problems with the wireless internet, my home network is found with full signal, however when I click connect I am told that the signal is too low and cannot be connected, it only appears to connect within a metre of the Modem, where I may aswell plug in a cable, does anyone know how I can connect wirelessly when further away from the modem?

I contacted Acer and they ran me through a few solutions, none of which helped and then came to the conclusion I should get my laptop booked in, I'm hoping it's a bit more simpler than that.

Cheers for your time.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:15 PM

Answers

• Apparently it's because my router is N and my wireless card is G, so they aren't compatible. Meaning I need to get a new wireless card, If I were to buy a wireless adapter which is G would that work, or would i have to change my network card?

Thanks for your time.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:53 PM
  • That will be a good question in a hardware forum.
    Note this forum is for asking directions for the correct forum, not solutions.

MSMVP VC++
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:08 PM

All replies

• Bring another laptop to your home to see if it is the modem or your computer. If it is your modem, find a community in the modem producer's support web site to discuss your problem. If it is your computer, borrow a USB adapter to test your computer. If another USB adapter works, then discuss this on Acer's community web site. If not, visit support.microsoft.com to find a home user community.
    MSMVP VC++
    Friday, June 5, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Apparently it's because my router is N and my wireless card is G, so they aren't compatible. Meaning I need to get a new wireless card, If I were to buy a wireless adapter which is G would that work, or would i have to change my network card?

Thanks for your time.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:53 PM
  • That will be a good question in a hardware forum.
    Note this forum is for asking directions for the correct forum, not solutions.

MSMVP VC++
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:08 PM