Making WHS Back Up C: Data? RRS feed

• Question

• Normally I'd never keep data on a system drive, but I'm running a couple of services that keep their .INI files there and I cannot figure out how to make them keep said .INI files elsewhere.

That being the case, can I make the following assumptions:
    • As long as I don't mess with D:, all it will contain are things that WHS can re-create all by itself in the event of a re-install following drive failure ("Tombstones" ??)
    • If I set up a file-copy backup program (like SecondCopy) and tell it to back up various C: drive files into a share that I define (e.g. "WHS_SystemFileBackup) and then tell WHS to duplicate that share I will be covered - both in event of a C drive failure/re-install AND in the event of failure of one of the pooled drives
    Am I on the right track?

Or am I over-thinking this and WHS somehow magically provides for the second item on it's own?
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:40 PM

Answers

• "In box" Windows Home Server offers no functionality for backing up the system partition. Everything on that partition is sacrificial in the event of drive failure.

That said, your assumptions are good. I would not personally use SecondCopy, instead I would use robocopy (in box with Vista). But that's because I've used robocopy for many years, and I'm confortable with it. I don't have anything against SecondCopy except lack of familiarity...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:29 PM