Where is the updated material to study MCPD 70-519 RRS feed

• Question

• It loos like most of the material in the preparation guide is outdated, I was planning to do this exam on January, can someone tell me if there is a reason why the "recommended" material for MCPD 70-519 in the Microsoft Learning Site is marked as outdated? should I wait until they update this or should I study with the same material? [Just for the records, when I talk about "materials" most of them are the Patterns and Practices] hope this helps to clarify some things. 
    Jorge Alvarado
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:50 PM

Answers

• There will not be a training guide for 70-519.  I used the training guide for the 2.0 version and looked at the skilled measured to see if there is anything new.  If you have done the MCTS then you are aware of the new facilities, 70-519 shows you know when to apply these solutions so really not that much to study.  The latest Patterns and Practice book (Application Architecture Guide 2.0) is also worth a skim read.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Friday, December 24, 2010 9:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by alvaradojl Friday, December 24, 2010 6:17 PM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 9:55 AM
  • just to make this thread a little bit more complete, I took the MCPD 70-519 an PASSED :) and I should tell you this: DO NOT FOLLOW THE LEARNING PATH recommended on the Microsoft Learning Site. It is just not applicable. You have to be well prepared to answer performance, testing and architecture issues about ASP.Net MVC, as well as Web forms. You must clearly understand principles like web farms, n-tier architectures, web config configurations, etc. Hope it help!   
    Jorge Alvarado
    • Marked as answer by alvaradojl Monday, January 10, 2011 2:05 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 2:05 AM

All replies

• There will not be a training guide for 70-519.  I used the training guide for the 2.0 version and looked at the skilled measured to see if there is anything new.  If you have done the MCTS then you are aware of the new facilities, 70-519 shows you know when to apply these solutions so really not that much to study.  The latest Patterns and Practice book (Application Architecture Guide 2.0) is also worth a skim read.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Friday, December 24, 2010 9:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by alvaradojl Friday, December 24, 2010 6:17 PM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 9:55 AM
  • just to make this thread a little bit more complete, I took the MCPD 70-519 an PASSED :) and I should tell you this: DO NOT FOLLOW THE LEARNING PATH recommended on the Microsoft Learning Site. It is just not applicable. You have to be well prepared to answer performance, testing and architecture issues about ASP.Net MVC, as well as Web forms. You must clearly understand principles like web farms, n-tier architectures, web config configurations, etc. Hope it help!   
    Jorge Alvarado
    • Marked as answer by alvaradojl Monday, January 10, 2011 2:05 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Hi, alvaradojl I am planning to take the MCPD EXAM 70-519 can you refer some study materials for the preparation?

Thanks

Sathiya

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:40 AM
  • Hi Sathiya! Well, I must tell you that most of the books I read before the exam were not very useful because this exam is not about code! It was very MVC oriented, if you are used to work only on Webforms this exam will be quite difficult but if you can handle MVC or at least you can identify their different components you'll be fine. So, in summary, there is no new code! but practices (Practices & PAtterns is not exactly was you are looking for). Look for some books that covers architecting (both in webforms and MVC) ... Hope it help! Good Luck!
    Jorge Alvarado
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Hi alvaradoj,

I am planning to participate in MCPD Exam 70-519 within a month, would you please suggest me some online resources which you would have followed and which suits best for getting a quick understanding of MVC architecture. I am new in MVC, I have worked only on Web Forms till now. But started a bit learning on MVC.

Please suggest me something which can help me to achieve the goal.

Thanks,

Anuj

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Hi anujkr87 well, as I said before, look for one (or two) really good books for MVC 'cause this exam will ask you heavily on this topic, so you must understand throughly those concepts, or maybe alternatives for the benefits that you get on MVC but applied into your web forms,  and this is because most of your questions will be about "best practice" configurations of a web application,  so keep in mind concepts as web farms, proper use of config files for deployment, the best location for your components (assemblies) on which layer or tier of your architectural application map, the problem is that this exam is no longer about the chapters of a book but instead real world examples, you can take a look at patterns and practices (just in case) but don't spend too much time on it, at least for me it was not very useful in the whole sense,  hope it helps.
    Jorge Alvarado
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:50 PM