none
Product Key Validation RRS feed

• Question

• Last week I got an old Thinkpad T43 from a friend of mine, which needed to be cleaned and reinstalled.  I tried to use the product key on the label attached to the laptop, but got a message that it was invalid product key.  Then I tried another product key from my own old Thinkpad, which didn't work either.  Both of them are XP Professional.  Can you suggest a good solution to this?  At least the one from my laptop shouldn't be a volume license, as I bought it personally from IBM website.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:23 AM

Answers

• Last week I got an old Thinkpad T43 from a friend of mine, which needed to be cleaned and reinstalled.  I tried to use the product key on the label attached to the laptop, but got a message that it was invalid product key.  Then I tried another product key from my own old Thinkpad, which didn't work either.  Both of them are XP Professional.  Can you suggest a good solution to this?  At least the one from my laptop shouldn't be a volume license, as I bought it personally from IBM website.

Thinking a little further - You need to use either the Recovery disks for that computer, or an OEM System Builder disk in conjunction with the COA Key.
    It sounds as if you're attempting to use a Retail disk - which won't work with a COA Key

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:25 AM

All replies

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:22 AM

Thinking a little further - You need to use either the Recovery disks for that computer, or an OEM System Builder disk in conjunction with the COA Key.
    It sounds as if you're attempting to use a Retail disk - which won't work with a COA Key

--

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:25 AM