WHSBackup UI question RRS feed

• Question

• This question is related to the WHS Backup Database-Backup (BDBB) Add-In

What's the difference between the two user options - Enable Duplication for WHS Backups and Enable Duplication for BDBB Backups?

I assumed that Duplication for WHS Backups meant that it would duplicate the backups on the shared drives on the WHS and that Duplication for BDBB would duplicate them on an external drive.  I installed the add-in last night, checked both options and ran it and it completed succesfully during the night.  I thought Server Storage would show PC Backups as duplicated on the WHS and more storage used up but it was the same.  So what do the different options do?

• Edited by RobRom Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:41 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can read about it Here!  

Should hae your answer.
    Friday, October 3, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Perhaps this add-in was written before PP1 gave us all the ability to back up our WHS shares and is now effectively redundant?

Friday, October 3, 2008 10:28 AM
  • It was written post PP1.

It's function is to make a backup of your backup data base not your share folders.

An example would be that if your house were to burn down and you lost both your WHS & your pc or note book, You could still rebuild your pc from a copy of your backup data base that you stored off site.

• Edited by CBick Friday, October 3, 2008 12:51 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Followed the link to mediasmart but still no clear explanation between duplication of WHS BACKUP and BDBB BACKUP.

WHS BACKUP I know consists of the workstation backups.  But what is in the BDBB backups?
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Backup database backup (BDBB) allows you to back up the home computer backup database. That's all.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:55 PM
  • KIDPlayaPlaya said:

Followed the link to mediasmart but still no clear explanation between duplication of WHS BACKUP and BDBB BACKUP.

WHS BACKUP I know consists of the workstation backups.  But what is in the BDBB backups?

The "Enable Duplication" options allows the user to turn Duplication on for the WHS backup databse. If you use BDBB to backup your backup database to a shared folder in Server Storage, you can then choose to enable Duplication for that folder. This should allow your BDBB backup to persist intact in the event of a drive failure.

I hope this helps.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:10 PM