Use a 32GB SSD drive as system drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I am currently running WHS on a HP MEDIASMART EX485 with 3 drives:
    - System drive = 750GB
    - Second bay = 1TB
    - Third bay = 500GB

Due to a noise issue with my system drive (mechanic issue) I thought about replacing this drive by a silent SSD drive (32GB).

I installed the disk information addon and noticed the D: partition does not use my primary system drive.

I also heard that there is a restriction in WHS installation process, system drive must be >64GB.

I have 3 questions:
    1) Will the system block system recovery procedure if I try it on this 32GB drive ?
    2) If no do you think using ACRONIS system disk copy system will be possible for that purpose ?
    3) If no would you have a suggestion to bypass this restriction ?

Thanks for your answers and ideas.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 1:11 PM

All replies

• You will not be able to install or recover Windows Home Server on a system drive smaller than the smallest supported, which is actually around 70 GB (I don't recall the exact number, sorry). And cloning your system drive is an unsupported way of getting around this, one which is very likely to cause serious problems with Windows Home Server operation if you resize the partitions on that drive (as you would have to do to move it to a smaller drive).

Also, your D: partition does use your system drive; that's where that partition is. It's possible that there's no actual data on your D: partition, however; all the data on your server would be on the second and third drives in the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:27 PM