Configuration of VMWare Network with Static IP addresses and Internet access RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in preparation of Exam 70-643, I want to configure a private virtual Lab for hand-on practical. I have 2 virtual Servers 2008 R2 and 2 Windows 7 virtual machines installed in VMWare. I want to configure them with dhcp and internet coming out from one of the Servers, all machines should use static IP addresses. How can i make these configurations?
    Thank you.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:26 AM

Answers

• The easiest way to do this is to just configure both servers and workstations with one Host only network adapter and one NAT network Adapter.  Use the Host Only adapter for communication between machines and NAT for talking to the Internet.  You can configure DHCP on one of the Windows Servers for the Host Only network if you want, but I normally just use hard coded addresses for the Host only network.  VMware will take care of the addresses for the NAT connections. Doing what you are describing requires setting up some kind of Proxy software on one of the VMs to allow for sharing the Internet connection.  Its a lot more trouble than its worth.  Just use NAT and disconnect it when you don't need.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:45 AM

All replies

• The easiest way to do this is to just configure both servers and workstations with one Host only network adapter and one NAT network Adapter.  Use the Host Only adapter for communication between machines and NAT for talking to the Internet.  You can configure DHCP on one of the Windows Servers for the Host Only network if you want, but I normally just use hard coded addresses for the Host only network.  VMware will take care of the addresses for the NAT connections. Doing what you are describing requires setting up some kind of Proxy software on one of the VMs to allow for sharing the Internet connection.  Its a lot more trouble than its worth.  Just use NAT and disconnect it when you don't need.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Thank you Paul, now let me try your way. I'll come back to you here.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Thank you Paul, it finally worked out. Sorry for late reply, i got mad on this. Thank you again.
    Friday, September 20, 2013 11:47 PM