none
HPC Cluster Manager - "unable to connect to head node" from Windows XP

Question

• I am trying to run HPC Cluster Manager from a Windows XP 32bit machine to connect to a cluster running  Windows HPC Server 2008. Up until recently this worked but now when starting up Cluster Manager it shows the splash screen then pops up a "Select Head Node" Dialogue with a 'hover help' popup stating:

"Unable to connect to head node"
      "The attribute 'Version' for 'NetworkManger' does not match the manager's assembly. The assembly's attribute is '2.0.0.0', while the manager declaration specifies '3.0.0.0'. Change the manager attribute to Version='2.0.0.0'."

Has anyone seen this error and how do I fix this?
    I am guessing some recent Windows XP Update to my computer has messed up things.

Also Cluster Manager, when run on the Headnode or Compute nodes, runs without problems.

Bill

Friday, April 1, 2011 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Bill,

The error message indicates that your client version didn't match to the server version. Your Cluster Server should be upgraded to Windows HPC Server 2008 R2 while your client is still Windows HPC Server 2008.

To solve the problem, please upgrade your client version to the server version.

Thanks,

Qiufang

Qiufang Shi
    • Marked as answer by Bill.Huiskamp Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:16 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:42 AM