Personal Information being sent over the web RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I recently updated my laptop with Onecare and before that I had MacAfee. There was a feature that I really liked where I would put in my personal Information such as name, phone number, address, credit card # and stuff like that and it would notify me when any of that information was being sent over the web.

Is that a feather that Onecare would consider adding?

Also, I like having a visual of my network and the connections. Can something like that be added?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:32 PM

All replies

• I moved your post to the General folder and changed it from a question to a comment as I can't answer you (nor can anyone else!), but these are good suggestions.

You can also submit these suggestions through another path - http://feedback.live.com - select Windows Live OneCare from the list to open a form to send feedback to the OneCare team.

-steve

Thursday, April 3, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Though I understand why everyone likes this idea, I see a basic flaw that concerns me.

What if some malware gains control of the PC and manages to shut down at least the firewall? Then what if that same malware were aware of how that stored personal information could be accessed? It could then simply take all of that information you've so conveniently entered and send it to the bad guys without even having to trick you into entering it.

Personally, I'd rather see more concentration on detecting and preventing the malware in the first place. If something has gotten on the system without being detected, collected information and is already in the process of trying to send it out it's quite possible that it could simply disable your protection anyway. So I don't really believe that having something monitoring what gets sent is necessarily all that valuable.

OneCareBear

Friday, April 4, 2008 4:08 AM