Desktop Search operators not working RRS feed

• Question

• When I use Boolean operators in my DeskTop Search application they do not work as advertised. Using AND does not find only the emails/files with both of the specified words but functions instead as OR. Using parentheses does not find a specific word string but functions as an OR. In fact, every operator seems to function as an OR. Is this a problem on my end or with Desktop Search?
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:37 PM

All replies

• For me the operators and other WDS syntax work as intended, at least on the WHS desktop.

Are you using UPPERCASE for the BOOLEANS in your searches?

Sunday, March 23, 2008 2:33 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using uppercase operators, but in Outlook, at least, AND delivers OR results and "xxxxxxx yyyyy" delivers OR results. It is quite frustrating.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:18 AM
  • You could try:

1. On your WHS go to Control panel, Add or Remove Programs, Remove Windows Desktop Search 3.01

2. Reboot

3. Browse to C:\redistr and install WindowsDesktopSearch-KB917013-V301-Srv2K3-x86-enu.exe

Did you install any third party programs, or did you make any modifications to your box? If yes, which?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for the additional input. I have installed lots of third-party programs but nothing that I think would interfere with Desktop Search, and I don't know what you mean by "modifications to the box" so I assume I didn't do that.

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling, as you suggest, and then re-indexing.

I should add that my specific problem is with using Desktop Search to find emails in Outlook.

Ciao!

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:11 AM
  •  

Hi, Martin,

Did you mean you installed Outlook on top of Windows Home Server and used the server as a desktop? This is not a scenario we'd recommend, and the problem yo have may be due to the following reasons:

1. When installing Home Server, Windows Desktop Search was configured to index only files under d:\share\. You may need to change the search scope of WDS.

2. If you try to search from Remote Access, the results are filtered to include files only.

HTH.

Fan

Friday, March 28, 2008 9:13 AM