Onecare to router multi-connection issue. RRS feed

• General discussion

• System I have is under latest onecare protection and when it connects to router, router displayes multiple connection from my system with different machine addresses.

How is this possible ?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:29 PM

All replies

• Are you seeing this in your router logs? How is the PC connected to the router? Is it wired or wireless?

Do the entries have a date/time stamp or is simply a list of MAC Addresses, PC names, and the IP Address assigned?

Does your PC have both a wireless adapter and a wired connection to the router?

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:14 AM
  • Steve,

Every connection to and from pc to router is wired. Nothing to do with wireless. Following is the log I have from router

Dynamic DHCP Client List :

Host Name IP Address          MAC Address                                       Expired Time 

DELL-DESK 192.168.30.151 52415320001AA0044880000000000000 Apr/30/2008 17:28:40
    DELL-DESK 192.168.30.150 00-11-a2-04-38-86                                Apr/30/2008 18:12:16

The strange MAC address line 52415320001AA0044880000000000000 is the issue.

Hope this helps !

s

Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Thanks for posting the details. I don't have an answer for you. What's interesting is that the first entry is older than the one that looks like a normal MAC address. How do these entries relate to when you turned on the PC or router or plugged the PC into the router?

What is the make/model of the router?

What operating system is DELL-DESK running?

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:37 PM
  • Timing of alien MAC address does not have any effect. I have seen alien address appear even after real DHCP connection. Well the system I have is a Windows XP Professional, SP2 and router make/model Dlink-2310. Only way to make it disappear at this moment is reboot the router, but the issue appear again at unknow time.

Dlink does not have a proper answer other than upgrade to latest firmware which is already running on the router.

-s

Friday, May 2, 2008 1:52 AM
  • I don't believe that it is a problem, but I can only speculate on the reason for what you are seeing. I'm surprised that D-Link isn't more helpful.

What appears to be the case is that the PC is receiving an IP address via DHCP from the router for the Ethernet adapter's physical MAC address. Which, in your example, is this entry:

DELL-DESK 192.168.30.150 00-11-a2-04-38-86                                Apr/30/2008 18:12:16

The other entry, doesn't show a MAC address in the format that we'd expect, but it is being logged as assigned to the same PC name.

What software are you running on the XP box? Can you tie the logging of this other entry to the startup of a program on your PC? I'm thinking something like a Virtual Machine, a Media server, or perhaps a PDA connected to the PC at that point? Mabe an all-in-one printer/FAX/copier, machine attached to the PC?

And to rule out OneCare for a moment, are you Sharing printers with other PCs using the OneCare printer sharing feature?

-steve

Friday, May 2, 2008 12:51 PM