Express Backup decided all my files were new or changed RRS feed

• General discussion

• Yesterday my OneCare "Express Backup" told me to insert CD disc 7 to add the new or changed files. I was surprized when it kept on asking for more CDs for a total of 7 more!  

I had not planned on all the extra time required.

Instead of the 400 files in the ususal incremental backup, it wrote 22,783 files.   That would be all of my files.

I am sure the last time I looked at the OneCare status display, it told me I had about 400 files to back up. But I do not keep a written log of this display - I should not have to - that is what the status display is for. 

The only clue I can think of is that I ran DeFrgFat the previous day.  (I hope I typed the name here exactly from my memory - I do not want to launch it again from the menu just to check its spelling- DFragFat or whatever).   I do not think that it had flagged all my files as "changed" before.  In fact it would be more likely in the past, following tradition,  that I would run a backup, then DeFrgFat.  So if it had flagged all files as changed, the next incremental backup would have required the extra CDs then too.

I thought it was the same program that OneCare uses to defrag as a part of its scheduled "tune-ups" ??

I wish OneCare would warn me that all files had been reflagged or that the estimated time would be 2 hours.   If I had realized, I would have initiated a whole fresh backup at a different time of day.  Of course, my next backup will have to be a fresh master from scratch, to be trusted.

This sounds eerily reminiscent of the file header mischief of the old "permissions" bug with MS-Word files.

Has anyone else had this time-consuming surprize? 

Eirík Þorvaldsson

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:13 PM

All replies

• I would be surprised if running defrag would cause this. If defrag caused this One Care would want a full backup at every tune up since defrag runs before backup. Additionally, many One Care users also use third party defraggers and I have not seen any reports of this causing backup issues. The most common cause of this is reinstalling One Care but other than that I don't know why this would happen. Support may be able to help you track down the cause of this issue. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:24 AM
  • I had been unable to find this in the nice new Forums software, but see now - This week when I tied the incremental backup on the new set of CDs the same thing happened.

A nice fellow in Chennai has just told me that the "database Upgrade" that downloaded 03-26-2009 probably prevented me from doing a normal incremental CD backup of 1100 files, even though it estimated 12 minutes, it spat out disc 7 of the set, that it had just requested and told me "The disc in your drive contains data. Please replace it with a blank recordable disc."  So it decided not to do the incremental, and wanted to write all 7 discs (for 22,000 files) again. He has found a patch-around for external hard drives, but not for CDs and DVDs.  It did this too me in March too (on the date posted above), which he attributed to operating system updates.

When I cancelled the backup and inserted disc 7 cold, One Care's Restore utility popped up, so I would say the CD was OK.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Since Qwest is supplying OneCare as part of my DSL service, is it possible they are rolling out mass updates or re-installations without considering effect on incremental backup users?
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:25 AM
  • As far as I know, no. Qwest manages the LiveIDs that are authorized for OneCare subscriptions and that information is somehow communicated back to the OneCare account servers. There is no difference in the software or subscription at that point. So, it would be unlikely that a special update was being deployed to reset the database. The "nice fellow" you spoke with in support, i'm sorry to say, was wrong.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:09 PM