How to best add drivers and recover HD’s for the MS-HomeServer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Being a newbie to WHS I have some basic questions.

First of all, it seems as the recommendations is that all activities regarding the sever are meant to be done remotely from another PC, is this true all the time or have I misunderstood something?

Installing drivers, adding/configuring new disks, managing the system by device manager and so on, are all of this task recommended to be done remotely???

Secondly, if I have a WHS system up and running and my motherboard burns up or something like this, but disks are still intact.

What is the best way to get my data off the disk then?

Can I put the in a WinXP or Windows2003 system and just read the data right out, or is it a different disk format?

Or is it a way to add disks to WHS without formatting the disk?

Reg
    Jocke

Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi!
    Being a newbie to WHS I have some basic questions.
    First of all, it seems as the recommendations is that all activities regarding the sever are meant to be done remotely from another PC, is this true all the time or have I misunderstood something?

Nope, you understood correctly (once you get the OS installed, of course  :)  ).

Installing drivers, adding/configuring new disks, managing the system by device manager and so on, are all of this task recommended to be done remotely???

All of the "admin" functions are done through the Console from a client PC.  There is normally never any need to logon to the server desktop, not to mention it's unsupported.

Secondly, if I have a WHS system up and running and my motherboard burns up or something like this, but disks are still intact.
    What is the best way to get my data off the disk then?

See the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure for details on what to do in that situation.

Can I put the in a WinXP or Windows2003 system and just read the data right out, or is it a different disk format?
    Or is it a way to add disks to WHS without formatting the disk?

Not if you want to add them to the storage pool.

Reg
    Jocke
    You can find answers to a lot of the basic WHS questions on the main WHS website.  Also, for a more detailed explanation on various functions, you should check the WHS Support page.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:09 PM