CRM 2011: Allow E-Mail Checkbox Contact RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Forum

On a contact or an account we have the allow e-mail and bulk-mail checkboxes. So if I don't allow e-mail and work with Outlook client (activity form: Outlook), I can send e-mails anyway. If I change the form mode to Web, it works. Does that mean we can not use this with the Outlook client?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:12 PM

Answers

• It would make as much sense as the fact that if I had an Outlook contact record for someone I can send them email from Outlook, it simply does not consider the CRM rules at all, whether that Contact came from CRM (via synch) or not, Outlook has no reason to check with CRM before sending the email (especially if the email is not even tracked).

The "do not send email" is a CRM setting and is honoured inside CRM. If I create a CRM email record it will warn me if one of the recipients has "do not allow" set. If I use other means to send emails using CRM (such as workflow or bulk / direct email, or Campaign activity) then CRM will check the setting and either silently drop the recipient's email from the batch (eg siply don't distribute campaign activity to them) or fail to process the request (in a workflow).

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    Blog: Getting IT Right

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:27 AM

All replies

• Anyone?
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:26 AM
  • really anyone?
    Monday, January 21, 2013 6:38 PM
  • I haven't validated the results you have experienced, but I would say: yes, you can't rely on CRM's 'Do Not E-mail' field if your users use Outlook.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, January 21, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Thanks Neil, but that would be a great disadvantage and would make no sense....
    Monday, January 21, 2013 9:52 PM
  • It would make as much sense as the fact that if I had an Outlook contact record for someone I can send them email from Outlook, it simply does not consider the CRM rules at all, whether that Contact came from CRM (via synch) or not, Outlook has no reason to check with CRM before sending the email (especially if the email is not even tracked).

The "do not send email" is a CRM setting and is honoured inside CRM. If I create a CRM email record it will warn me if one of the recipients has "do not allow" set. If I use other means to send emails using CRM (such as workflow or bulk / direct email, or Campaign activity) then CRM will check the setting and either silently drop the recipient's email from the batch (eg siply don't distribute campaign activity to them) or fail to process the request (in a workflow).

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    Blog: Getting IT Right

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:27 AM