Maintain the backups RRS feed

• General discussion

• As you can see in the NAS-thread, the backup function is the (only) one which causes problems to me. I really like OneCare and how fast it works (compared with other programs of the same kind) and how smoothly it fits into windows.

But the backup part of OneCare isn't that sophisticated so far.

Is there any thought about implementing a maintenance option to backup? There are some reasons why this might be useful.

1. OneCare creates a knew folder every time you make a "new" backup (e.g. after reconfiguring or reinstalling). But there's no implemented option to remove previous backups (which might lead into the situation you have several folders of old in your backup-directory (e.g. 2008, 2008-1, 2008-2 and so on) each containing data and wasting space on the drive).

2. From time to time you delete some data you really don't need any more. So there's no need to keep them backed up as well. But OneCare doesn't give you the option of removing backed up files if they are deleted with purpose from the computer it backs up (nice wording, eh? ;-) )

It can't be a good looking solution, to mess around in the backup folder by yourself (as described in the FAQ by Steve) and maybe accidently remove a wrong folder or file. A menu giving you an overview of contained backups, with date and time, on click with further details (like files and folders contained) and the option to remove old data would be a real step further in the worthtyness of the program (well, more important it would be to get OneCare work with a NAS under Vista... No use for a backup program at all if it's unusable under a very common and senseful configuration)...
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 7:05 AM

All replies

• I agree that this is a major shortcoming for backup - the lack of a maintenance function and I hope that it is added soon. You are correct that there is risk associated with manually cleaning up your backups.

-steve

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:56 PM