Do Not Want Automatic Updates RRS feed

• Question

•  Hello Steve,

I use WLM v. 12.0.1606, however Microsoft has a new version which they are sending through automatic updates. I realize when changing the settings of updates to anything other than automatic, causes the One Care icon to turn red!

I would rather live with the red icon than accept the new WLM, which is an indication of how much I dislike the new version.  What are the consequences of allowing One Care to remain in the red for this reason?  Also, is there an One Care newsgroup?

Thank you,

Nissi1
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:00 PM tune-up issue (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Update to Windows Live OneCare Tune-up)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:25 AM

Answers

• Hi, Nissi1.

I'm going to move this over to the Tune-up folder of the forum.

There is no impact other than the red icon warning you that you are at risk. If you choose to accept that, then you can Open OneCare every once in a while to check on the status and see if there are other reasons that you are at risk. if a serious risk should happen, such as the firewall failing to start, you'll typically get another alert.

On the other hand, you can still leave AU enabled, with the nightly install. You can then watch for the release of the update to Windows live Mail (not yet being offered via WU or AU, by the way) and when it is offered, block it in WU by hiding the update. OneCare will then turn yellow, but you will have stopped the udpate.

It is probably off topic for here and I know that there are concerns about WLMail and lots of people disliking it, but may I ask why you dislike it? Have you used it during the beta and rolled back to the previous version due to the dislike? I actually didn't like it at first, but have grown to like it, but I only use it for access to my Hotmail accounts and one Google mail account. I have always hated OE, WM, and WLM for newsgroups. <g>

Yes, there are some nntp newsgroups for OneCare on the Microsft.public server. They see very little traffic and I'm typically there twice per day. They are not available via the web interface. There are also a few International OneCare groups on the server that I don't frequent since I don't speak the languages represented. There do appear to be Microsoft people frequenting, though.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi, Nissi1.

I'm going to move this over to the Tune-up folder of the forum.

There is no impact other than the red icon warning you that you are at risk. If you choose to accept that, then you can Open OneCare every once in a while to check on the status and see if there are other reasons that you are at risk. if a serious risk should happen, such as the firewall failing to start, you'll typically get another alert.

On the other hand, you can still leave AU enabled, with the nightly install. You can then watch for the release of the update to Windows live Mail (not yet being offered via WU or AU, by the way) and when it is offered, block it in WU by hiding the update. OneCare will then turn yellow, but you will have stopped the udpate.

It is probably off topic for here and I know that there are concerns about WLMail and lots of people disliking it, but may I ask why you dislike it? Have you used it during the beta and rolled back to the previous version due to the dislike? I actually didn't like it at first, but have grown to like it, but I only use it for access to my Hotmail accounts and one Google mail account. I have always hated OE, WM, and WLM for newsgroups. <g>

Yes, there are some nntp newsgroups for OneCare on the Microsft.public server. They see very little traffic and I'm typically there twice per day. They are not available via the web interface. There are also a few International OneCare groups on the server that I don't frequent since I don't speak the languages represented. There do appear to be Microsoft people frequenting, though.

-steve

Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Hello Steve,

A belated Happy New Year.

I first read about the discontent with Windows Live Mail 14 in Microsoft's Windows Live Mail Newsgroup, which I recently learned how to incorporate into WLM.  I got the opportunity to view what others were complaining about when I downloaded this new version for a friend who kept forgetting his email passwords! 

Nothing I read about Windows Live Mail 14 prepared me for what I saw.  WLM's, in my opinion, is worse than its users described it to be.  Its faded appearance gave me a headache by the time I had finished setting it up for my friend!  Not to mention the lack of icon labels.

Just yesterday I discovered among the new installed updates for January, a WL Update Tool.  I deleted it since I thought its only use would be to upgrade the Live products, of which I only have Live Mail installed.  Since I have the choice of One Care's icon remaining red or maintaining a nightly vigil over my updates, I choose the red icon; bad memory!

I love WLM just the way it is.  Before discovering it, I was reading my feeds through IE, which was time consuming.  Not to mention accessing all the different email services I use.  I have never used OE (which I learned very recently stood for Outlook Express), nor Windows Mail, although I have experimented with it.

When I downloaded the WL services, particularly WLM after reading so much about it, I found it extremely user friendly.  I had all of my email services and feeds in one place.  I could briefly scan each feed and decide whether to read or delete without downloading it entirely.  The other WL services, messenger, blog, journal, etc., I deleted since I had no interest in them.

Now I read in the WLM newsgroup that this bastardization of WLM is now out of beta and one person reported receiving it through his updates!  I will attempt to hold onto the 12.0.1606 version as long as I can since it was reported that that version no longer exist.  Strange, very strange.

Thank you for the information and giving me the opportunity to vent.

Continued blessing,

Nissi1

Also, aside from its control issues, I consider One Care a great security software.  Most time I forget it is on my machine, unlike McAfee!  And is there something wrong with the preview feature? It does not work.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Happy Belated New Year to you, too. Venting is good...sometimes <g>, so feel free to do so!
    I'mm not aware of it being pushed out via Windows Update yet, though it may well be heading in that direction. I have the older version installed on one PC with the older 8.5 release of Messenger and the other programs. it has not been updated as of yet.
    Yes, the biggest complaints are indeed the faded appearance and the lack of icons throughout. I know that there has been loads of feedback on this and I'm sure that the developers have gotten and earful and an eyeful, too. Hopefully, we'll see some changes for the better in the next release. :-)
    -steve
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:30 PM