Eval Expires 2 months before Expiry Date? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS eval install shows in the console it expires 1/22/2009.

I've been getting shutdowns and tracked down this system log entry:
    Application popup: Windows - Windows Evaluation Notification : The evaluation period for this installation of Windows has expired. ...

Any fix possible using Build 3790 (Service Pack 2) with PP1.

Monday, November 24, 2008 1:19 PM

Answers

• Jack_HS said:

My WHS eval install shows in the console it expires 1/22/2009.

Application popup: Windows - Windows Evaluation Notification : The evaluation period for this installation of Windows has expired. ...

Hello,

The evaluation copy expires 120 days after install as it is a 120 day evaluation copy. If you check your logs, the creation date of the first log will be 120 days ago.  The incorrect date showing is a known issue and we apologize for the confusion:

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2007/11/08/known-issue-windows-home-server-120-day-evaluation-version-expires-without-warning/

However, there is no fix to extend the date and no service pack will fix this issue. The build itself is time bombed to expire after 120 days. This is by design.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    • Marked as answer by Jack_HS Monday, November 24, 2008 4:38 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    besides a server reinstall or trying to get a new trial key and reinstall a version with that new key there is nothing, you could try to get an expired trial version back to function.
    In this case (using the same product key) you should also avoid product activation over Internet, since the trial key may have expired from viewpoint of activation servers as well. So activation by phone would help in that situation. 30 days are possible always without activation or even product key input after each installation.

Why an evaluation expires before it's end could be various reasons, i.e.:
    • Changes/manipulations in date and time of the system are often handled very sensitive by time bombs - they explode.
    • Never entered a product key.
    • Never activated the trial.
    • Bugs.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 24, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Jack_HS said:

My WHS eval install shows in the console it expires 1/22/2009.

Hello,

The evaluation copy expires 120 days after install as it is a 120 day evaluation copy. If you check your logs, the creation date of the first log will be 120 days ago.  The incorrect date showing is a known issue and we apologize for the confusion:

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2007/11/08/known-issue-windows-home-server-120-day-evaluation-version-expires-without-warning/

However, there is no fix to extend the date and no service pack will fix this issue. The build itself is time bombed to expire after 120 days. This is by design.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    • Marked as answer by Jack_HS Monday, November 24, 2008 4:38 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.

After this and a couple other issues with WHS
    I think I am best served by a XP box for sharing.

I'll miss the WHS client backup, hope it's released as a stand alone product someday.

That was really the only feature of WHS I was using,  that can not be dupicated on XP.
    I nevered liked the concept of the drive extender, or making folder backups on the same WHS box.
    It ties all my data to a WHS system, or requires hours to move it to another machine,
    as opposed to just removing a drive and putting it in a different box.

Thanks MS for the eval software and  to all those on these forums who posted tips and offered suggestions over the months I looked at WHS and was part of the PP1 beta.

Monday, November 24, 2008 4:38 PM