MS Money/CC Cleaner - Default Browser Linkage Broken RRS feed

• Question

• Download latest version of CC Cleaner (v5.57.7182 64-bit). Ran program and nicely cleaned up the computer.

Opened up MS Money Sunset version and selected "Connect to Bank". MS Money would not recognize the default browser, Google Chrome. Tried switching default browser to Internet Explorer. No good.

Been using MS Money since 2000 and never had this problem.

Thinking that there is a command in the new version of CC Cleaner that may have deleted the linkage in MS Money to the default browser.

Would like to get this issue resolved.

Any thoughts or suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks.

Friday, May 31, 2019 10:55 PM

All replies

• I'm using Money Sunset, and when I try Connect to Bank>Go to "xxx Bank website", it doesn't work for me either.  When I try that, I get an error screen with "Make sure that the web address "https:www.xxxBank.com is correct".  I have never used CCleaner so I don't think that is the reason for the behavior on my system.  But, then, I have never tried the "Connect to Bank" feature before either so I have no idea if it ever worked for me or, if it did, when it stopped working.

I also see the same kind of message appear no matter what I type in the address box.  Since I don't access the web via Money, I haven't pursued this.  You might try a system restore to undo the CC Cleaner changes.  Or, better yet, see this link for undoing the CCleaner changes:

https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/troubleshooting/problems-after-you-have-run-ccleaner

Bill Becker

Saturday, June 1, 2019 1:24 AM
  • The bank information that Money has was last updated around 2010. The servers that provided the information were turned off in 2011, but the data that they provided was no longer being updated. That said, the bank's website address may have changed. You can edit the information yourself so that you have the right information.

On the Account List page, select the left pane item "View banks and brokerages". Select your bank and click the link below "View contact information". You can fix the bank's URL here. If you are using one of the "Web Statements logon page" or "Web Payment Logon Page" links, click the common task "Update advanced web settings" and you can fix those URLs.

Banks have been changing, but their data in Money won't change automatically any longer.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Saturday, June 1, 2019 2:35 PM
  • Bob, - With my Money Sunset US, no web address will work.  Here's a screen shot with an address that should always work:

And "Search for this site on Bing" doesn't work either.  It's not important to me because I get all my financial data via a download and import.

Bill Becker

Saturday, June 1, 2019 4:59 PM
  • Bob, - With my Money Sunset US, no web address will work.  Here's a screen shot with an address that should always work:

And "Search for this site on Bing" doesn't work either.  It's not important to me because I get all my financial data via a download and import.

Bill Becker

You may have set up the Windows Firewall to block Internet access, so that Money does not wait for servers that are no longer there. That blocking makes Money faster. That block is normally set up broadly, so as a consequence, using the browser inside Money would not work.
    Saturday, June 1, 2019 6:28 PM
  • Cal, - You have it exactly right.  I forgot that I was blocking Money outbound access.  When I disable that firewall rule, Money connects.  And I note that the browser is IE11 which is still officially supported but which is missing many newer feature and security enhancements.

Bill Becker

Sunday, June 2, 2019 12:31 AM