none
Deplyoment of Win2008 plain to HyperV R2 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,
    I'm currently rebuilding our entire Windows HPC structure. Therefore I wanted to deploy the Headnodes by WDS, too. So I installed Win2008 R2 Server onto a WDS Virtual Machine hosted by HyperV.
    As Hpc20008 Cluster Pack V2 is not compatible with Win2008 R2 I then switched from deploying Win2008 R2 to Win2008 plain.
    However the installation never succeded in adding the prestaged node to the Domain:
    With a WIn2008 based WDS the deployment goes the same way, no domain join.

The solution seemed to be  pretty simple.  The boot.wim from Win2008 plain does not have the appropriate drivers for R2's HyperV. With the boot.wim of R2 starting up, the domain join is done and everything runs smoothly.

However the final OS then stops booting with a missing or faulty vmbus.sys.

Injecting VMBUS.sys to any image and injecting all inf drivers of the HyperV client tools disk does not seem to work for the boot.wim or the install.wim either.
    Adding the paths to the peboot sequence unattended pass results in a abort of the deployment. But I have to mentioned I have not error checked everything here.

Finally I decided to get this deployed today after all and simple added a secondary generic ethernet device.
    Here a small setback was that the VM instantly boots from the newly added adapter and no longer from the first one, this is pretty confusing as each adding of a network adapter means to adjust mac etc. again and again if you want to do PXE boot.

This setup finally worked.

However I would appreciate a way to really inject the necessary drivers  for HyperV to boot.wim and install.wim. Perhaps someone knows where to find them or how to do it right?
    Her is what I did:

imagex /mountrw  boot.wim 2 boot 

where boot is a folder in the current directory

peimg /inf="Hyper-V Integration Services\netvsc\netvsc.inf" boot

imagex /unmount /commit boot

Finally the driver itself seems not to be working as hoped, although its the same version as listed as functional and installed inside one HyperV VM.
    Tested this way:

drvload.exe  \\someshare\netvsc.inf
    wpeutil InitializeNetwork

Johannes

JH
    • Changed type Johannes_de Monday, September 28, 2009 6:49 AM Wrong checkbox
    • Edited by Johannes_de Monday, September 28, 2009 11:48 AM Added news
    Monday, September 28, 2009 6:48 AM

All replies

• unfortunately hyper-v drivers cannot be injected in the win2k8 winPE. Support for this is provided in winPE3.0 which whips with W2k8 r2.
    thanks
    -parmita

pm
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:11 PM