no wonder the pirates get away with it .... microsoft does not make it easy for the public RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a pc back in April 2008 which came with windows xp oem installed (so the invoice said).  I followed the registration process when I powered up the pc up and have used wga multiple times since but today windows has popped up saying its not genuine ... so now, one year later, I am left with a 95 pound bill to get the real product ... thanks microsoft - I end up paying twice even though I followed the validation and wga steps along the way.

So, being the good citizen I tried to follow the piracy report process ... I get a form up and fill it in ... I look out all the details I can, including the product key, and fill in the form.

I set my country/region as united kingdom and fill in as much as I can including my post code which is in the format xxx xxx and the form tells me its an error ... don't you hat it when a computer thinks it knows best .... so eventually I have to miss that bit out to be able to submit.

I click submit and the form pops up confirmation details - half of the answers it shows as blank - that will be because it didn't ask the question so how could I have entered the detail (even though I know the information) ... and some of the information I entered is not displayed on the confirmation.  Why is it such a challange ?

Come on microsoft - if you want this detail make it easy and user friendly .... and get rid of the jargon .... it no wonder the pirates get away with it - coa's, vlk's, volumes and  and pk's ... volume licences vs oem vs genuine vs student ... its all techno babble to the average person in the real world ....

I buy a PC - the seller says its got genuine windows installed ... he says its an OEM license (whatever that is) because its a new pc so I register it on line and load up genuine advantage which says it fine then for me I have done my best - I have to assume its correct - I don't have future sight to know that in a years microsoft will discover that actually it was fake and will suddenly cut me off .....
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:38 AM

Answers

• Hello Snigehere,

Unfortunately I do not have any actual pricing for OEM System Builder Windows. I would recommend for you to visit a local shop and inquire what the price is. Also keep in mind the How To Tell Site as now you will know what to look for. Next do you have something equivalent to the USA's Better Business Bureau? If so check the business "you decide" to make your purchase from. Hopefully this will help. But please keep in mind if you purchase an OEM System Builder version you may only use this on that given system and you can't transfer it to another system or upgrade with another motherboard in the future. Your other option would be to purchase a retail version of Windows which allows you to do all these things as long as you remove the OS from the previous system.

Take care and thank you again

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:07 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:06 AM
  • Good Morning Snigehere,

Thank you for touching back with us. You mention, "had asked me to provide the details off of a sticker then I would have been alerted to the issue when I could have taken immediate action". When a customer purchases a computer from an OEM Manufacturer Windows is suppose to be pre-installed and  activated. If a customer purchases OEM System Builder Windows then the customer would be acting as the System Builder meaning performing the installation, validation and activation. In your case the computer should have come to you without any need to activate. Over time product keys are identified by Microsoft or a company as being either stolen or used beyond the amount of Licensing the original business purchased.  In turn this sends up a flag and the key will be blocked. This is why you are not asked to provide information about the product key up front. Snigehere I do understand the frustration. Also we have seen other customers here in the forum who were taken advantage of by this same company.  

Did you compare the media you have against our website @ http://www.howtotell.com? Please do if you haven't. You may be eligible for a free copy of Windows if you have a high quality counterfiet version. 

Again thank you for providing us with this information.

Stephen  

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:30 PM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:24 PM

All replies

• Snigehere,

Thank you for visiting us. Where did you purchase the computer from in 2008?  We understand the frustration you are currently experiencing. You said, "Thanks Microsoft-I end up paying twice even though I followed the validation and WGA steps along the way". Please know that it wasn't Microsoft who you purchased Windows XP from it was another company. It is very unfortunate what happened to you but I must say there are many unscrupulous people who sell non-genuine software to their customers. In turn the perception falls back to the manufacturing company who didn't sell the product to the actual end user. Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results. We are here to help.  

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.     What edition/version of Windows XP is currently installed or is it another version of Windows?

·        Home

·        Media Center

·        Professional

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen

Friday, May 29, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Snigehere,

Have you had a chance to run the MGA Diagnostic Tool as yet? Please let us know so we can try and offer you assistance.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Monday, June 1, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Hello Stephen - Thanks for the questions - my post was locked for a week saying it was being moved so I gave up and didn't check back until today.

I recognise that I purchased the product from another company rather than microsoft.  My comments still stand in that microsoft does not make it easy for the average user - the terminology is confusing, I am expected to have known all about microsoft licensing, stickers and "coa's" through some kind of osmosis when I purchase a PC.  The software registration process did not check any of this and I did not have to enter any codes.

I purchased the PC from a recognised company in the UK.  I researched the company before hand and did not find anything to worry me.  The company was
    Qwelt .Com
    Registered Number: 06034003
    Registered at Companies House on 20/12/2006
    Address:     143-147 KETTERING ROAD
    NORTHAMPTON
    NN1 4BS

I purchased a new PC from this company and it was advertised as having windows xp professional OEM installed.  When I received the PC I followed the registration process for the software and that went well.  At no time during that process did I get asked to provide any kind of numbers from any kind of label.  I installed the windows genuine advantage software and that worked fine.  From my point of view I had no reason to suspect the product was not genuine. 

Now one year later I get an alert on my screen saying the product is a pirate copy.  I have investigated this in detail and found out I should have a sticker and do not, l and have found other posts about this company on the internet which lead me to conclusion I have been conned.  The company I purchased the machine went into liquidation last year and because it's so long since the purchase no one is interested in helping. 

I have registered this issue on the microsoft piracy site but as the company I purchased the machine from no longer exists I am not sure it will help.  I am sure there must be a lot of other people in the same situation - if this company conned me then I am sure they did the same for all their other customers.

So I thought I did everything right but one year after purchasing the machine I suddenly find I am left with a machine without genuine microsoft software installed and can not do anything about it - Microsoft want 93 pounds to fix it ....  

So ..... after investigating and doing a crash education on windows licensing what I find is I have a volume license and not an OEM one and that the volume license belonged to a company somewhere in another part of the globe.  I have also discovered that its only just come to light that this license had been stolen and used to pirate copies of windows so its just been added to the database hence I just got alerted and asked to pay 93 pounds to solve it.

So .... back to my original point .... If, during the registration process, or during the initial install of windows genuine advantage, microsoft (via the program), had asked me to provide the details off of a sticker then I would have been alerted to the issue when I could have taken immediate action.  Even if it was not known to have been pirated a simple check of "how did you obtain the PC" and validate it was the right type of licence would have exposed the issue.  Microsoft does not seem to want to accept any responsibility for a sloppy process and as a result makes it so much easier for those "unscrupulous people" to get away with it.

I already know I have been conned but just so I can share that with you I have attached the diagnostic report below.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23882
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {D1DF6E57-F498-4E53-A01D-2898F1F2AA9E}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft FrontPage 2002 - 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003 - 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{D1DF6E57-F498-4E53-A01D-2898F1F2AA9E}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23882</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2052111302-1844823847-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTELR</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060904000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>5E123BF70184E066</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90170409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft FrontPage 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>C95C3D5A77E454</Val><Hash>cbGYNZCCmNHY5TWohpdo5A7h3Nw=</Hash><Pid>54196-758-9033382-16439</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{90510409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>6B831687455E500</Val><Hash>Tr8wX0xgPeVrSPf7aVcRcloz+ZI=</Hash><Pid>72085-640-0923284-55043</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>8646ECBA4359D7A</Val><Hash>ocjv3rCUz6pPR7/7jjU1x9M77cw=</Hash><Pid>70145-701-1229257-57310</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="17" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="51" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 9:12 AM
  • Good Morning Snigehere,

Thank you for touching back with us. You mention, "had asked me to provide the details off of a sticker then I would have been alerted to the issue when I could have taken immediate action". When a customer purchases a computer from an OEM Manufacturer Windows is suppose to be pre-installed and  activated. If a customer purchases OEM System Builder Windows then the customer would be acting as the System Builder meaning performing the installation, validation and activation. In your case the computer should have come to you without any need to activate. Over time product keys are identified by Microsoft or a company as being either stolen or used beyond the amount of Licensing the original business purchased.  In turn this sends up a flag and the key will be blocked. This is why you are not asked to provide information about the product key up front. Snigehere I do understand the frustration. Also we have seen other customers here in the forum who were taken advantage of by this same company.  

Did you compare the media you have against our website @ http://www.howtotell.com? Please do if you haven't. You may be eligible for a free copy of Windows if you have a high quality counterfiet version. 

Again thank you for providing us with this information.

Stephen  

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:30 PM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Thanks for the comments :-

I think this again proves the point ... you describe different type of licences and when I might or might not enter a code but how would I know entering a code is normal or not ....  the howtotell site is interesting but its all after the fact - how would I know these things or know to look there ?  nothing prompts me to look unless I get a problem.

The decision on how to get users to validate software is designed by microsoft - the fact that in some cases I need to enter codes and in some cases I don't is purely down to microsoft's design - which comes back to my original point that microsoft make it easy for the pirates to suceed by making it hard for the genral public to understand. 

I had already been through the "do I qualify for a compelentary windows" but I fall at the first hurdle because I do not have a CD - I was told that as it was pre-installed I didn't get one.  I know many friends who have PC's from mainstream companies where they do not have windows CD's either so assumed this was correct.

I am made to feel like the criminal here .... I did all I thought I should and it was fine for a year ... again, if this was alerted to me when I received the PC I could have taken action - the company was still in business and the payment was covered but 12 months later I am out of luck.  If WGA asked simple questions when it installed itself through windows update or when it was updated then this would be easy to handle ..... pirates can be inventive in getting around things - its time microsoft started to be inventive in solving them .....

So ... to finish on this topic as I seem to be out of options ... If I were a system builder how much would microsoft charge me to put windows oem onto a new pc ?  I ask this so I can better understand the pricing when I look for my next replacement PC ... to compare with and without windows pre install ..... I assume its not the 95 pounds (I got it wrong earlier when I said 93) they want from me for the wga kit .....

Thanks and have a great day ....

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Hello Snigehere,

Unfortunately I do not have any actual pricing for OEM System Builder Windows. I would recommend for you to visit a local shop and inquire what the price is. Also keep in mind the How To Tell Site as now you will know what to look for. Next do you have something equivalent to the USA's Better Business Bureau? If so check the business "you decide" to make your purchase from. Hopefully this will help. But please keep in mind if you purchase an OEM System Builder version you may only use this on that given system and you can't transfer it to another system or upgrade with another motherboard in the future. Your other option would be to purchase a retail version of Windows which allows you to do all these things as long as you remove the OS from the previous system.

Take care and thank you again

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:07 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:06 AM