Can one person have multiple MCP IDs? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to separate certifications which I will get for company's purpose and the ones I will get for myself.   I wonder whether I can have a MCP ID for all the certifications earned for company and another MCP ID for other certifications earned for myself.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:23 AM

Answers

• Anything is possible. However, it is not how the system is designed. That is not to say that a person at one time had a different MCP number than they do now. In a perfect world; 1 MCP, 1 MCP Number.

Just out of curiosity, what made you think of this?

Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician
    MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. Finish. Test. Evaluate.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:11 AM

All replies

• Anything is possible. However, it is not how the system is designed. That is not to say that a person at one time had a different MCP number than they do now. In a perfect world; 1 MCP, 1 MCP Number.

Just out of curiosity, what made you think of this?

Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician
    MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. Finish. Test. Evaluate.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:11 AM
  • The only reason I can see why you would want 2 MCP IDs is in the scenario that the company pays for you to do the certs and these are linked to the company if you leave so that they will still have it for the MS Partner Program points and competency requirements.

That is a bit of a grey area. It is the individual who teakes the exam not the company, so if the individual leaves so does the expertise. Maybe I am reading into this the wrong way tho

MCP,MCAD,MCSD.NET,MCTS*7,MCPD*3,MCITP*2,MCDBA Blog: http://certsandprogs.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:53 AM
  • Why would you want to seperate them? As far as I am aware you can only have one MCP ID unless you happen to have two houses and email addresses, but I may be wrong.

I don't understand why you would want to seperate the qualifications onto two different transcripts. If there are qualifications that you gained whilst working at a company, paid for by the company etc, those are still YOUR qualifications. When you leave the company they will go with you. If you don't want a prespective employer to know about them, don't tell them about them (obviously this will still appear on your transcript).
    • Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Friday, January 16, 2009 11:26 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2009 11:25 AM
  • hi there,

As previous speakers said, you can only have 1 MCP ID. Having two and trying to link yourself with company account may result in some errors.

Anyway, even if you leave the company, you may simply request your employer to disassociate your MCP ID from companies profile (you will have to do it anyway, in case your new company wants to associate you with their profile).

As said before, these are your credentials and nobody can use them without your agreement :)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Just one MCP ID per person.  The MCP ID is about YOU, not your company.

If you company has paid for your exams and you leave the company, you are still the one who is certified not them. 

The credentials are all yours.

If you want them separated, put them on two different piles on your desk.  :)

-Mike Sakal

Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Perhaps the poster is a developer who doesn't want his current employer to know about his ITpro certs,
    so he doesn't get volunteered into becoming the companies sysadmin.
    (or the other way round, but that happens almost never IME)

It is easy to get a second MCP id,
    (Just ask the people in  other treads who had this happen by accident and ask in this forum about how to get the two ID's merged)

Just book a exam and use a different email than the last time and don't mention your current MCP id
    or Prometric Candidate ID. This gives a chance of about 90% that a new MCP - ID is created

of cause because this is a unofficial trick, it is not possible to move certs you already got to the new MCP ID
    and sometime in the future someone at MS may notice and merge the two ID's, but AFAIK this has never happened yet.

Rob 
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Hello everybody,

I also needd to have two separate MCP ID's. If you are askin"why?" - answer is:

I'm working for two different companies, and they both need different parts of mine competencies. One pays for one exams, another - for another exams. And it is not allowed to associate one Live ID with two companies. Therefore I have two different Live ID's with different MCP profiles and MCP ID's.

Now Microsoft found this and asked to join these two profiles into one. But I CAN'T do this. Because these competencies are payed by different companies.

Questions are:

1. Where is written in Microsoft policies or any other rules that one person MUST have one MCP ID and not two?

2. What are the ways to solve this conflict?

Urgent answer is needed....

Zilvinas

Friday, June 4, 2010 11:18 AM
  • Hi,

I would go straight to Microsoft to ask them:

Americas:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/help/service-americas.aspx

Asia-Pacific:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/help/service-asia-pacific.aspx

Europe/Africa:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/help/service-europe-africa.aspx

-- Mike Burr
    Monday, June 14, 2010 8:44 PM
  • I had 2 MCP number for one simple reason - my first exam was via VUE, all other via Prometric. So to obtain my MCSA I had to email to Microsoft and ask to join accounts into one. The problem was that they joined to later number and now my MCP starts with 340, not 333 :( 

All I have now as two is two different Live IDs linked to same MCP number after accounts joining. 

If we will talk about company, then it is all about Partners website. One of my Live IDs is associated with one Gold CPLS - Certified Partner for Learning Solutions. 

So, you do not need to have separate MCP numbers, you can just associate yourself with your company CP number (they will send you and invitation link) and your certifications will count towards your company to become Certified Partner, Gold Certified  Partner, or Platinum Certified Partner for *Some name* Solutions.

Later if you will leave the company, you can still be associated with them, or you can associate with another, leaving current one.

-------------------------------------------

Huseyn Abdullayev

MCT, MOSMI, MCSA, MCDBA, MCDST (and MCP and MOS for sure :))

Monday, January 17, 2011 1:04 PM
  • I am facing the same problem here , because i had an exam with VUE and another with Prometric.

the problem is that i have different IDs with the same email address , so i dont know if this is the reason for not having my second certificate in the list of certificates, while it is a week now since i passed the exam.

what shall i do , contact the regional microsoft center ??

Thanks,

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:16 PM