DE Question RRS feed

• Question

• Ok,
    I know the DE Service is responsible for moving data between drives when the main drive reaches ~90% capacity, is it possible to change this limit?  Like drop it to 80% and then try to get it down to ~5% capacity?
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 6:49 PM

Answers

• I don't think its user-configurable, it's hard coded somewhere.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:30 PM

All replies

• I don't think its user-configurable, it's hard coded somewhere.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:30 PM
  • No, the limits are built in to the code.

Also, Drive Extender doesn't really move data around from drive to drive, except to clear data off the system drive when it's full. When the system drive drops down under (I think) 10 GB, Drive Extender will start to move files off until it rises above that threshold. Other drives will be used until they drop below 20 GB of free space.

By not moving files around, disk access is reduced and performance is increased. The algorithm that Drive Estender uses to determine what drive or drives to place a file on takes the drive with the least free space that still has enough space for the file being saved. This tends to cluster files that all reside in the same folders and shares together. the theory is that in the case of a drive failure and no duplicaiton, it's better to lose all of the files in a folder, becuase they're all presumably closely related and that should assist in recreating them or retrieving them from other media.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:29 PM