Windows Server to Windows Home Server Migration... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've written an application that consists of a user interface program and a Windows Service.  The application runs under XP, Vista, and Windows Server 2003.  This is a fairly standard Windows app and Windows Service developed with Visual Studio dot Net.

I've read through this forum and through some Microsoft documents and it seems that Windows Home Server is a little different architecturally than Windows Server.  It seems like I might have to re-write or change some code to allow the application to run on Windows Home Serve. 

I would like users to be able to install my application's Windows Service on a Windows Home Server, while the User Interface program gets installed on the client machine (ie, XP or Vista). (and I would like the install program to make this painless)  This is a scheduling application and so needs to be running continuously so having the Service run on a server is optimal.

So, my question is this, where do I go to find out how to migrate a Windows XP or Windows Server application so that it works on Windows Home Server.  Do I have to totally rewrite the code?  Is their a document available that explains the differences between developing for XP/Vista/WinServer and WHS? 

Thanks for any information.

thanks
    jimIam

jim
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:51 PM

Answers

• The portal for the WHS SDK can be reached here. I will warn you that the SDK is primarily an object reference. There is some sample code, but not a lot.

To do what you want you would require an appropriate installer for the service, which you would configure as an add-in (you would still use the service, but an add-in gives you the ability to exert some control through a GUI). You would need a separate installer for the client component; that wouldn't need to be an add-in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:49 AM

All replies

• The portal for the WHS SDK can be reached here. I will warn you that the SDK is primarily an object reference. There is some sample code, but not a lot.

To do what you want you would require an appropriate installer for the service, which you would configure as an add-in (you would still use the service, but an add-in gives you the ability to exert some control through a GUI). You would need a separate installer for the client component; that wouldn't need to be an add-in.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:49 AM
  • jim_I_am said:

...]  Do I have to totally rewrite the code? [... 

Jim,
    Any services that runs on Windows Server 2003 will run on Windows Home Server. However, you might want to integrate the service installation and/or configuration as your users by default will only have access to Windows Home Server through the console application. The SDK (see previous post) should give you all information on how to do this.

Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Ok Thanks Ken and Theo for your responses.  Looks like I'll have to dive into the SDK.

Sorry for the newby questions, here's a few more:

1.  is WHS an OEM only product?  Can I buy the software and install it myself?
    2.  Microsoft is/used to be very good at getting software to developers.  I know that Visual Studio Express is now free, so this helps (although I don't believe Express lets you write Windows Services or install them), the  question is:  Is there some kind of developers assistance program for WHS? 

I don't have demand for my application on WHS, though I believe it would be a good idea to have the software available, and if it was available, maybe there would be some demand (ie, if you write it they will come lol).  I'm looking at having to buy Visual Studio Pro 2008, and WHS, if it's available, so I can modify an application that may or may not have demand. 

When Microsoft was promoting Dynamics, they sent everyone in the partner program a free "professional office developers Toolkit" and Small Business Accounting software to stimulate development.  My Visual Studio dot Net Pro product (which I purchased and was out of date in 6 months, though I can still write dot Net 1.1 software) came with a developers version of Windows Server 2003.

I'm wondering if this kind of thing has been done for WHS (ie, some kind of developers edition), and if so is there a place I can go to get in on the program.

thanks for your help so far, and any further info would be appreciated.

jim

jim
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:21 PM
  • WHS is an OEM product, yes, so it's available in volume purchase to OEMs, and available to others in a "system builder" package. It's also available in Microsoft's Action pack subscription (this may be a limited time evaluation version with full functionality). WHS is not expensive in the sytem builder package, though; the street price is currently around $100. WHS is not available as retail software; you will not find a pretty shrink-wrapped box sitting on a shelf anywhere, as it assumes a fairly high level of technical competence.

As for developer assistance, this and other online forums for WHS are about the best you'll find. Windows Home Server team members do monitor and post to these forums, so you may find that a dev will pop up with an answer that nobody else has. But you should count  on lots of "learning experiences". :)

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  
    jim_I_am said:

1.  is WHS an OEM only product?  Can I buy the software and install it myself?
    2.  Microsoft is/used to be very good at getting software to developers.  I know that Visual Studio Express is now free, so this helps (although I don't believe Express lets you write Windows Services or install them), the  question is:  Is there some kind of developers assistance program for WHS? 

I'm looking at having to buy Visual Studio Pro 2008, and WHS, if it's available, so I can modify an application that may or may not have demand. 

I'm wondering if this kind of thing has been done for WHS (ie, some kind of developers edition), and if so is there a place I can go to get in on the program.

As Ken said, you can buy WHS as a "system builder" pack - basically the DVDs in a slip case - from most major online resellers. MS recently reduced the price of WHS, and we're seeing that flow through into the channel now.

No developer edition is available, unfortunately. There are various trial versions available for download if you're part of the WHS Connect beta program, but I'm not sure if that's open for new members at the moment. MS does offer a free (including free shipping) 120 day trial of WHS (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/eval.mspx), which is fully functional.

There's also a 90-day trial of VS 2008 Pro available as well (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/default.mspx).
    Friday, December 5, 2008 9:23 PM
  •  Sam, Ken,

thanks for the responses.

I'll check out the links to the trial versions.   

I think the concept of WHS is interesting and definitely needed if for no other reason than automatic backup to protect relatively expensive media files.

I have a unix based server built upon a mini-itx board it runs samba mainly and houses what used to be a large capacity disk (it was considered large a few years ago, now, I guess a terabyte is large).  The server only uses about 10 Watts or less of power (the temperature controlled power supply fan only comes on in the summer) so I can leave it on without it draining the power grid.  It seems that a WHS based server using a very low power motherboard would be a huge seller.

I wonder what the consumer uptake is on this server?  (how many are they selling, what is the consumer response?)

Also, last newby question, if you develop an application that runs using WHS, is there some kind of WHS 3rd party directory that the application can be listed in?

many thanks for your help,

jim

jim
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 3:37 AM
  • jim_I_am said:

I wonder what the consumer uptake is on this server?  (how many are they selling, what is the consumer response?)

Also, last newby question, if you develop an application that runs using WHS, is there some kind of WHS 3rd party directory that the application can be listed in?

From what I've heard, uptake has exceeded expectations. I remember someone saying that HP burned through their predicted first 3 months supply of MediaSmart servers in the first 3 weeks of release. We Got Served forums have 15k signed-up users. I see 3000+ downloads per month, sustained, of my WHS Disk Management add-in.

Currently, Microsoft pulls the list of favourite add-ins from We Got Served http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/add-ins.mspx. The very first ISV newsletter for WHS just went out tonight, and included contact details and instructions for getting your add-in listed there, so I'm guessing the page will be expanded in the future. Shoot me an email if you'd like me to put you in touch. 
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 4:15 AM