Health critical warning on clients only RRS feed

• Question

• A brief bit of recent history, in case it's applicable:

A few weeks ago I replaced a bad data disk on my HP EX475.  Because I failed to turn Folder Duplication on, I wound up with some corrupted back-ups.  Simultaneously (and unrelated) one of my clients required a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 x86.  

After completing the reinstallation I attempted to install Connector from the shared Software folder on the server, with no success.  It appeared that some of the system files were also missing, which was puzzling.  I ran defrag on the server, did some other troubleshooting, and ultimately did a Server Recovery using the HP factory disks.  After repeatedly running Update to get PP1, 2 and 3 I was able to successfully download and install Connector to the clients.

Now I have a very odd error.  My clients are reporting a critical health error, yet the server Network Health page shows nothing is wrong.  There are a few add-ins I have chosen not to install, but have instructed the server to ignore those issues.

I'm scratching my head, and the only theory I can come up with is this: the server still shows the client images made prior to Server Recovery, but it lists them separately from the current clients.  Somehow it doesn't understand the client machines are the same as they were before and after Recovery.  That's a little odd, but neither here nor there, and I prefer to keep those previous images since they archive the last few months.  Backups are turned off for those machines, so I don't see how they could be throwing off errors, or why the Network Health page wouldn't list them (but the clients would).  I just don't have any other ideas.

Thoughts?

Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:56 AM

All replies

• What error(s) are the clients reporting?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:23 PM
  • It's the "X client has antispyware software turned off or has not been updated" message.  I have Norton Internet Security 2010 x86 on all of my clients, and WHS was giving this warning for months.  I believe I finally turned those warnings off; I honestly can't remember.  I remember only that I found a way to stop them.

All of that work was before the Server Recovery.  In this circumstance I can't turn them off because Network Health shows fully green--no mention of antispyware / antivirus / firewall or anything else.

Friday, September 17, 2010 12:59 AM