having trouble installing the Live Desktop plug-in RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am new to Live Mesh and am trying to install the Live Desktop plug-in. My system is Windows XP, and the security setting for my IE8 is medium. When I go through the procedure, I get the information bar that asks if I want to install the software, but when I click Install, it just hangs up.

I did go into the Help area and looked at what it said under Live Desktop plug-in, and that the setting for Download Signed ActiveX Controls, I selected Enable, as it said (although my IE then warned me that it was not a secure enough setting). But I tried it again after that, and the same thing happened.

I would appreciate any help that anyone could give me on this. Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:13 AM

All replies

• What other security software do you have running?
    Do you have any issues with other ActiveX controls?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:55 PM
  • I do have the Norton 360 program running, but AFAIK I haven't had trouble with any other ActiveX controls.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:37 PM
  • Just for kicks, can you try disabling the Norton 360 protection and trying the install of the ActiveX control?
    You may want to delete Temporary Internet Files before doing so.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:54 PM
  • You are not suggesting disabling Norton permanently, are you? You just mean to disable it while I try to install the Live Desktop control? I'm not comfortable with removing the security completely, as it's a good program that's worked for me.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:39 PM
  • No, not completely, just to see if it is hampering the installation. Quick test.
    Close all programs.
    Delete temporary Internet Files in IE.
    Navigate to www.mesh.com and sign into the service.
    Disable Norton 360 security (try just firewall first, then try the real time protection)
    Go to the Live Desktop and install the plug-in.
    Enable all security before going anywhere else.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:45 PM