TS Gateway Server RRS feed

• Question

• Has home server got the option to  specify it as a TS gateway server, I am behind a corporate firewall and would like to connect to the home server as a gateway server to be able to rdp from there to the vista machine on my home LAN.
    I am unable to currently connect to the PC's on my home LAN due to the corporate firewall and the TS gateway server appears to be the perfect solution to this problem
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 4:13 AM

Answers

• Yes, this is built in to WHS. There are a couple of requirements/limitations: your ISP has to permit incoming traffic on ports 443 and 4125 (and optionally port 80, but you can do without that in a pinch), your router has to be configurable to send traffic on those ports to WHS, you can only connect to client PCs that are "registered" with WHS, you can only connect with client PCs running Vista Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate, and your client PC has to be turned on and not in standby or hibernation. And you will have to use Internet Explorer (or Firefox with the IETab extension); remote access isn't fully functional in other browsers.

All the specifics are in the WHS documentation.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 12:04 PM
  • No I don't believe so.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:17 AM

All replies

• Has home server got the option to  specify it as a TS gateway server, I am behind a corporate firewall and would like to connect to the home server as a gateway server to be able to rdp from there to the vista machine on my home LAN.
    I am unable to currently connect to the PC's on my home LAN due to the corporate firewall and the TS gateway server appears to be the perfect solution to this problem
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 4:12 AM
  • Andio,

Give Hamachi (along with UltraVNC) a try. I actually have the 2 setup on a flash drive to make them portable.

Scott 

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 7:26 AM
  • Yes, this is built in to WHS. There are a couple of requirements/limitations: your ISP has to permit incoming traffic on ports 443 and 4125 (and optionally port 80, but you can do without that in a pinch), your router has to be configurable to send traffic on those ports to WHS, you can only connect to client PCs that are "registered" with WHS, you can only connect with client PCs running Vista Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate, and your client PC has to be turned on and not in standby or hibernation. And you will have to use Internet Explorer (or Firefox with the IETab extension); remote access isn't fully functional in other browsers.

All the specifics are in the WHS documentation.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 12:04 PM
  • Hmmm,  I have not had any issues, connecting to my WHS,and have remote to my Server 2k3 standard and MCE 2005 that are clients of my WHS. Only thing, is that i had to configure my router to place my WHS infront of the DMZ. I connect at work which is an Enterprise Network behind serveral firewalls. Only issue I have seen is connecting to the livenode address,  my work network blocks Dyn DNS resolution. I have to use my external IP for the address.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:34 PM
  • Hi Ken,
     The corporate firewall at work does not allow port 4125, which is why I asked about the TS gateway server, as this allows a VPN type tunnel through port 443 for all requests, removing the issues of port 4125 being open, TS GWS is being implemented with server 2008, but there was mention of it being a stand alone option, is the stand alone option going to be made available for WHS
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 11:48 PM
  • No I don't believe so.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:17 AM
  • @Andio - another option would be to install a SSH server on WHS and tunnel traffic through it.  Bitvise WinSSHd & Tunnelier seem to work really well for tunneling out through a corporate proxy just using HTTP.  Once you've got an SSH tunnel going you can open a port to anything on your home network.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 5:15 AM