Why wont MSN index my website? RRS feed

• Question

• Accompli Assembly & Installation Services - http://accompli.com.au

I indexed my site above with MSN at the same time as I indexed Yahoo and Google (About 3 months ago) and MSN has not indexed a single page of my site and has not even registered a single backlink...

I have checked the crawl issues and there are none...

I have a sitemap.xml, robots.txt & have correctly implemented the authentication code...

I've done everything that I can but it just will not show up...

Does Webmaster central actually do anything or am I working with a obsolete product?

Monday, October 13, 2008 12:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have submitted your site to the index. I've had fairly good luck with that lately. If you don't see a change within 10 days, let me know and I will dig deeper.

Brett

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have submitted your site to the index. I've had fairly good luck with that lately. If you don't see a change within 10 days, let me know and I will dig deeper.

Brett

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:31 PM
  • We're having the same problem with www.sagemas.com This has been going on for over a year. Can you please submit this url as well?

Thanks!

Saturday, December 13, 2008 12:39 AM
  • Hello,

Could you also submit mine

www.archwaybakeries.com

Thank you,

Luisa

Monday, December 22, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Dear Brett,

I have same problem, my web shown on the Live Search when searched but it was not indexed by MSN.

Appreciate your kind assistance.

Cheers,

McP

Friday, December 26, 2008 10:53 AM
  • Dear Brett,

I have same problem with my web http://www.mcprieassociates.com it is shown on Live Search - search result but has not been indexed by MSN.

Appreciate your kind assistance

Thank you,

McP

Friday, December 26, 2008 10:58 AM
  • MSN is not accepting any website for indexing at this time. If your site is one of the sites that has been index on MSN in the past, it is possible that some of the content of your site jmay be indexed, however there are a lot of newer sites that will not be indexed. Only the root directory of the site will be indexed, but products, certain pages and other content will not.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Is this an "official" statement from MSN or are you just making an assumption based on the fact that there are so many threads on this forurn re: sites not being indexed.  Just curious.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:26 AM
  •  

MSN Not accepting New Sites? Well, that answers a few questions I had and wondering why my two New sites aren't being indexed. I don't remember being told this when I spent several hours setting up my webmaster tools and not to Mention I certainly wasn't told in my AdWords Campaign anything about not being added into MSN organic search. I was thinking the other day,that I needed to Pause my AdWords Campaign and do some fine tuning and add some more and better content.....So I paused my $200.00 a day campaign to wait for some indexing and to improve my site on my end too.

I'm glad I read this, because if my sites aren't going to be included into organic search results,then that tells me MSN doesn't need or deserve my hard earned cash for AdWords that I will never gain permanent placements for. I'll spend my money somewhere else. When MSN decides to Index again, I'll come back and spend some money.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Haha you must be joking ... spreading rumors to attract attention might work for you though!

There is nothing that indicates Live is not accepting or crawling new sites. From my own experience I can see that you need to put more effort than with other search engines, nothing else. New sites will struggle at first of course, since you will have very few quality links, etc, etc.

Just follow search engine guidelines, validate code, create sitemap, etc and keep working on promoting your site to gain good natural links and you will definitely be in Live Search too.

Just my 2 cents Stick out tongue
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:27 AM
  • MSN not accepting new sites? Why does MSN even bother with the search engine business? I'm not going to spend a dime here either if the organic placements never happen.

"MSN is not accepting any website for indexing at this time. If your site is one of the sites that has been index on MSN in the past, it is possible that some of the content of your site may be indexed, however there are a lot of newer sites that will not be indexed. Only the root directory of the site will be indexed, but products, certain pages and other content will not."

Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:45 PM
  • That extract you just posted is not official.

From what I can see, Live Search keeps in the index less pages than Google for example. This means that you will need to put more effort in optimizing your website so as to be listed successfully in the search engine. New sites struggle on Google and will struggle even more on Live, until they gain "online reputation" which always takes time. It's normal that in most cases only the homepage is indexed, cause it's the page that is usually given the most link juice. The other pages are simply not good enough for Live to stay in the index.

Keep working on your website and you will manage to be indexed on Live Search ...

Monday, January 12, 2009 8:38 AM
  •  

Good enough? I do keyword searches in MSN to find one of my sites and the top three returns are "coming soon" URLs for Nothing pages. the 4th return is a site that Never loads correctly!!??? I agree about SEO, but jezz dude i cant even get a knock on the door. MSNBOT has never even crawled my sites. And, as for ad-center..... I'll advertise on another search engine that at least gives me SOME indexing...Its only sensible. I cant count the number of trash sites I see on MSN. Maybe the issue is my server and code? Oh, wait Its ASP and on a 2008 windows server running IIS7? Someone answer that one? I'm not flaming at you or any other person directly, I'd just like to see a BOT at least knock on the door!
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Yes - I completely understand the process and understand that it takes time to climb the index.  That's not what I'm talking about -- my site is not even indexed when you type the URL into the search field.  Ridiculous.  According to Webmaster Tools the site has been authenticated, has a page value of 4, etc. etc.  What a huge waste of time and money.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:59 PM