mesh and foldershare on same pcs? RRS feed

• Question

• i know it is redundant... but im wondering if it is possible to run mesh and foldershare on the same machines? does anyone else run both? really liking mesh so far but i need a backup just in case. im assuming that foldershare is more stable than mesh because its been around longer
    thanks
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:26 AM

Answers

• I have both Mesh and foldersgare working on my PC's, and they work together without any problem.

And indeed Foldershare is much stabler, or at least it allows to access folders on the remote PC's without need to log in, and is much much faster.
    • Edited by Oliviermar Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:33 AM addendum
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:29 AM

All replies

• I have both Mesh and foldersgare working on my PC's, and they work together without any problem.

And indeed Foldershare is much stabler, or at least it allows to access folders on the remote PC's without need to log in, and is much much faster.
    • Edited by Oliviermar Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:33 AM addendum
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:29 AM
  • I run both on some machines, but I do not sync the same content using both. None of the Mesh folders are also part of FolderShare in my usage and vice versa.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:40 PM
  • thank you both for the replies. that is what i needed to know. i will go ahead with it and post my experiences after a while.
    regards
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:40 PM
  • To be even more precise, I can remotely access my PC at work through Mesh, and from there access the folders of the PC's linked through Foldershare.

Foldershare does allow you to read/write/copy etc. access the files on other PC's remotely, but doesn't give you full command of the PC's, so you cannot run a program on another PC.

But it is fast.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:40 PM
  • OK - I was able to run both mesh and foldershare side by side and with the same folders. no problems there. for my uses folder share might be better for now. not buggy at all and uses much less system resources, about  1/8th of what mesh uses. it does not have the bells a whistles though, so i will keep up with mesh in hopes that it will get stable and efficient enough to keep me happy.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 4:00 AM