cannot restore money 14....1105 data on new window 8 computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the same money 2005 with patch on my new windows 8 computer as I have on the old windows 7 computer. I backed up the money data from the old computer on a USB stick but cannot restore it on the new computer. I get an error message saying Cannot locate the file or cannot open it, possibly because it is read only or you do not have permission to change it or your dick drive is write protected.

I am running the new program as am administrator and have administrator rights and the USB stick can read and write with other programs. I have checked the properties of the restore file and it is not read only.

I have read all the posts and tried everything suggested with no success.

I am located in the UK and am running the UK version money

Can you help please

Richard

Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:26 PM

All replies

• Copy the file to your My Documents folder, reset the read only attribute if necessary, and try all the following until one works:

Double clicking it there

In Money, click File -> Open, use the arrow to change the type to backup, navigate to the My Documents folder, and select the file

In Money, click File -> Restore from backup, navigate to the My Documents folder, and select the file

Once you get it working, consider configuring it so you don't need to be an administrator.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 4:18 PM
  • 1.Close Money.
    2.Open Windows Explorer (WindowsKey+E is one way to do that)

Click Tools->FolderOptions->View and un-tick (remove check mark on)
    the HideExtensionForKnownFileTypes.  Click OK.  That way you will
    be able to see the actual .mny part of the filename.

3.Browse to your *.mny file or your *.mbf on the flash drive. Right-click and choose Copy.
    4.Browse to your Documents folder on the new drive.., Right-click and choose Paste.
     5.Right-click the copied file Documents folder, and choose Open. That should launch Money.
     6.Once inside, Tools->Options->Backup to set the backups to a place that exists on the new computer. Use Browse to help find a place that exists. Consider your backup strategy. You may want to make the upon-exit  backup to be a place in your Documents folder, and put your scheduled backup on a Flash drive. That way, a hard drive crash does not make you lose all of your backups.

Sunday, March 29, 2015 2:00 PM
  • Hi Cal

I followed your instructions carefully but unfortunately it did not work. I copied the file backup 5 d1.mbf into the document folder, right clicked and opened. The message said file xxx is corrupt or is not a money data file.  If it does not have a MNY extension ( not surprising as it has an mbf extension) click next.

This opened a box with the following options:

Open file, create new, restore backup, repair money file

I tried restore and that gave the old error message, It would not let me repair as the file does not have an "mny" extension and if I tried to close the box to set up the backup options as suggested and it logged me out of Money

I tried all the above again using a new version running sample.mny, with the same result

Do you have any other ideas I could try?

Hi Barry

I also tried your idea and couldn't get past line one. If I open the file menu inside money there is no option I can see for changing the file type, only new, open, convert quicken, backup, archive and repair money.

Have I missed something?

Richard

Sunday, March 29, 2015 5:33 PM
  • I presume that you used the downloaded installation file from the second post in this forum and used that to install Money 2005 UK. If not, I suggest that you do so.

Confirm that the error you see is when you first open the *.mny file and not when you later try to close Money.

I don't know if this could be a permissions thing, and I am not good at handling permissions. One thing you can do is to format a USB flash drive (use one of your old small ones) to FAT32 format. That does not support permissions. Copy the problem *.mny and *.mbf files to that drive. Then copy the files to your Documents folder. Then try step 5 with the new copies of the *.mny and *.mbf files. You might want to rename files in Windows to avoid confusion as to which is which,.

Have you tried both the *.mny file and the latest *.mbf file from the old computer? If so, maybe try the second-oldest *.mbf file from the old computer.

When you do a level 2 file repair to make a repaired version of your *.mny file, what happens?

Does Money still work on the old computer? If so, you could do a QIF export into several files on the old computer, and you would import all-at-once into a new file on the new computer. There is the loss of some info, but you would then have a very clean file. If you try that, say so. There is a longer description of how to make that work better.

Long shot: Search your old computer for a *.m14 file. If you find one, that would tend to indicate that a version of Money newer than Money 2005 was used to convert your file at some time in the past. That would have to have been a US version. The exception would be if the date on the *.m14 file dated back to when you first installed Money 2005.

Sunday, March 29, 2015 6:30 PM
  • Cal

Unfortunately my windows 7 computer is in my overseas apartment and I am now back in the UK. I used to carry the backup disk between the two places, then both on windows 7, so that I could restore with up to date information when I arrive. Before departing, my UK computer died and I had to buy a new one but could only get one with windows 8.1 which I thought would do the job that the old one did. I started window clean  and laboriously uploaded all the data, backed up on the stick I carry and presumed it would work as it did before. It restored in my overseas apartment, was updated with new information and backed up as normal. It was only on arriving in the UK that I found that I could not update with the new information I put in while overseas. Thus I cannot copy the mny file as it is thousands of miles away and I cannot try the windows 7 computer until I go back in some months time.

I have used the backup/restore system  on windows XP and 7 for many years with no trouble. I hate windows 8 and am trying to find a way to downgrade it to 7. You can never find the tools etc. It seems to be designed just for Facebook users!

I think you are right that the problem must be due to permissions. There is also something funny about the pathways as when I normally restore the computer seems to know where to put the file it restores and windows 8 is asking for directions and then says that it cannot open it to do the job.

At the moment, I am looking for a friend who will let me use his computer to run money so that I can try to see if the stick will restore on it. I will let you know.

I recall that money 2005 had a similar problem opening files before the patch was added. I wonder if windows 8 is preventing part of that patch from working. I did install the program from the link you recommended and it made no difference. I have also tried restoring to a clean program running sample.mny as administrator

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Is it possible that you were not using a UK version of Money originally? If so, look at the second post in this forum for an appropriate version of Money to see if that would open/restore you old file on the new computer. You would probably have to uninstall the UK version before installing the new  version.

Regarding restore location, the path used for the file in the old computer probably does not exist on the new computer. During the restore process, do not restore to the default location.  Instead Browse to your Documents folder, and select a name.  Then change the backup locations shown in Tools->Settings->BackupOptions to locations that exist on your computer currently.  Consider your backup strategies; disks fail.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:47 PM
  • Cal

I am reasonably certain that it is the UK version and it does have VAT in the tax section which would not be the case if it were to be the US version.

I did browse for the restore path to the money file on the computer, entered replace, then the password but then got the error message.

I am currently in the process of rebuilding my money file manually which is taking ages. When that is done I do not know what I shall do about multi location operation as Money will not let one carry a copy of mymoney.mny to another computer and open it. This is well documented and is why I was using the backup system that has worked for so many years

Richard

Friday, April 3, 2015 10:12 PM
  • I did browse for the restore path to the money file on the computer, entered replace, then the password but then got the error message.

This does not explain the problem, but next time you do a restore while you are having problems, consider browsing to your documents folder and choose a new name such as RKW2015. This way you avoid writing over an existing and you avoid a potential ownership problem.

The concern would be that you were running Money 2005UK now,  but the file was produced by a different version.

Sorry you have the long task.

One multi-computer strategy would be to put the backups on the local hard drives and put the *.mny file on your USB flash drive. The US Money Plus Sunset version has a neat feature: by default uniquely names backups by including the date in the filename. You can specify up to 99, but the default is to keep the latest 4 backups for both the upon-exit and the scheduled backups. You could work out a similar scheme with a backup file.

Friday, April 3, 2015 11:48 PM
  • Money 2005 UK QFE2 - 14.0.120.1105 - works well with Windows 8/8.1. Is your Windows installation fully up-to-date including all optional updates? You may not be updated to Windows 8.1, and there have been some significant updates to Windows 8.1.

Are you running only one system security software version? if you changed from the system builder's pre-installed version are you sure you cleaned it from your system?

I often copy my Money data file between Windows 8.1 systems and open it. I have no problems and do not need to restore a backup.

The error you see suggests either that your overseas and UK systems are not running the same version of Money - unlikely, since you restored successfully overseas - or the overseas backup file is badly damaged. Usually with Money 2005 UK the error occurs because the new installation was made with an installation CD, none of which include a required patch, instead of the downloaded QFE2 version.

If you want to downgrade to Windows 7, see Windows 8 downgrade rights. Since Windows 7 is now in extended support I would not recommend it. You would need Windows 7 drivers  for your hardware. If the hardware is customised or very new these may not be available.

Saturday, April 4, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Dear Cal

Many thanks for the advice. I will try it. I cannot run the sunset version as it created a hell of a mess. It is USA only and cannot cope with tax nor with FT downloads from Hleoxfx quotes etc. In deed when I tried it I had to uninstall, reload the original version and restore my money file which fortunately worked at that time but that was before window 8!

Richard

Saturday, April 4, 2015 5:48 PM
  • Dominic

Thank you for the advice. I have downloaded windows shell so I can now work from a desk top but I still find it difficult to find tools that I am used to using, but perhaps I will get used to windows 8. I have updated to 8.1 and many of my programmes stopped working properly, although I have since been able to fix most of them.

I would like to reinstall money on both computers to be sure that I have the correct and consistent software on both but am loathed to do so in case the back-up money will not work. I have a copy of mymoney.mny and mymoney.bdf on a brand new stick. How can I reinstall without running the risk of losing everything please?

Richard

Saturday, April 4, 2015 6:09 PM
  • With Windows 8.1 third party shells are not needed. At the Desktop, right click on the taskbar, select Properties then Navigation and explore the options until you find what you prefer.

If your programs are breaking with Windows 8.1 you must be using old versions. There are updated versions of most applications and much good freeware now. You should review your needs and change as required.

Do you need desktops for your computing? Consider using a laptop with docking stations. Money runs fine on an 8 inch Windows 8.1 tablet. You would need a bluetooth keyboard and a stand for the tablet as well.

The versions of Money to use are those from the links in the second, sticky post in this forum. Money 2005 UK has the version 14.0.120.1105. Uninstall the version you have, reboot and install Money 2005 QFE2 from the link.

To be certain you will not lose your information, the only way is to export your data as loose qif. See the links under "Regional versions" in the post. Be sure to re-open and export all closed accounts, or you will lose the historical data in them. This is a tedious process.

If, as I suspect, the problems arise because the file exported from your Windows 7 system is damaged you should check that system carefully before you use it again. There may well be a hardware fault.

Sunday, April 5, 2015 10:16 AM
  • Dominic

Thank you for your suggestions. yes some of my programs are old, just like money. Again, just like money, there are no good replacements.

One final question before I do all the exporting, if I open about money in the tools menu it does say 14.0.120.1105. Could it say that without it being the QFE2 version?

Richard

Sunday, April 5, 2015 2:49 PM
  • 14.0.120.1105 is the QFE 2 version of Money 2005. There are/were several English language versions: UK English, US English and International English. Only the UK and International English versions of Money 2005 are current: the US English version is replaced by Sunset.

Your installation might be damaged and the way to be sure you have a good installation - for any program - is to uninstall, reboot and re-install.

Sunday, April 5, 2015 6:00 PM