Install/Uninstall problem with Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows XP Pro SP3.  I installed Live Mesh in profile1.  Profile1 became corrupt and I now have profile2.  Tried to re-install Live Mesh and am told to uninstall it first.  Go to Add/Remove Programs and Live Mesh is not there.  Is there a way to force an install or uninstall?

Thank you,
    David
    Monday, May 5, 2008 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Thomas,

I'm sorry to hear you're hitting this problem.  Since you've already tried the suggestions above, I think the team needs to get some additional information from you so that we can look into it more deeply.  What would be most useful is if we could get your Live Mesh logs.  I've put the information for collecting logs and submitting a bug below.  If you can submit the bug on Connect, you could also then post your Connect bug ID in this thread for others to take at look at.  Also, if you can let me know: (1) what operating system you're using (e.g., XP 32-bit SP3), (2) whether you installed Live Mesh initially under an admin or non-admin account, and (3) what language your operating system is set to use (currently Live Mesh only supports English (United States)).  This additional information could help us narrow down what's going on.

Thanks,

Ben.

To submit a bug with your logs:

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs, if you still have a Live Mesh folder in your Start Menu:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

If you do not have a Live Mesh folder in your Start Menu, please collect the installation logs.  To get installation logs:

1.  Click Start
    2.  In the search bar (Vista) or Click Search (XP/2003) type Servicing*
    3.  In the search results you will see Servicing.log
    or Servicing(0000).log depending on where the installation failed.

To directly go to the file, the Servicing log is in INSTALLDIR\Setup\Servicing.log or %temp%\Live Mesh\Servicing[0000].log if Live Mesh was uninstalled/rolled back during a failed installation

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.

Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.

If you do not have access to the Live Mesh Connect site, you can email your logs to lmprev@microsoft.com.  Please provide as much information about your issue as you can in that email.

Friday, May 16, 2008 11:03 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Have you tried to remove the device from your mesh before attempting the reinstall?  We have a known install/uninstall issue that may be affecting you.  To remove the device from your mesh:

1.       Sign in to Live Mesh website and click Devices.

2.       On the Devices page, click the device you want to remove.

3.       Click the Options menu next to the device's name, then click Remove device from Live Mesh.

After you have removed the device from your mesh, please try to reinstall the Live Mesh software.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 9:56 PM
  • That didn't help.  When I try to re-install I get a dialog box with the following in it:

This product is already installed.
        You can uninstall or repair the program using Control Panel.

Get more help

The "Get more help" is a broken hyperlink.  The problem I am having is that Live Mesh DOESN'T show up in Add/Remove programs.  When I try to uninstall SP3, it knows it has been installed, but I am not able to uninstall it.  Is there a way to do so manually?

David

Thursday, May 15, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Hi David,

I have another route we can try.  If you download the "LiveMesh.exe" installer (i.e., save it to your computer), can you try running it with the following option: "LiveMesh.exe /repair"?

You can get the installer by going to www.mesh.com, signing into your mesh, selecting Add Device from the ring, clicking Install, and selecting Save.

Once you have the installer on your computer, go to the Start Menu, select Run, and type: LiveMesh.exe /repair.

Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Ben,

I'm experiencing the same problem. I have followed each of your recommendations. Still the problem persists. I am unable to repair or reinstall Live Mesh.

Thanks,
    Thomas
    Friday, May 16, 2008 10:24 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

I'm sorry to hear you're hitting this problem.  Since you've already tried the suggestions above, I think the team needs to get some additional information from you so that we can look into it more deeply.  What would be most useful is if we could get your Live Mesh logs.  I've put the information for collecting logs and submitting a bug below.  If you can submit the bug on Connect, you could also then post your Connect bug ID in this thread for others to take at look at.  Also, if you can let me know: (1) what operating system you're using (e.g., XP 32-bit SP3), (2) whether you installed Live Mesh initially under an admin or non-admin account, and (3) what language your operating system is set to use (currently Live Mesh only supports English (United States)).  This additional information could help us narrow down what's going on.

Thanks,

Ben.

To submit a bug with your logs:

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs, if you still have a Live Mesh folder in your Start Menu:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

If you do not have a Live Mesh folder in your Start Menu, please collect the installation logs.  To get installation logs:

1.  Click Start
    2.  In the search bar (Vista) or Click Search (XP/2003) type Servicing*
    3.  In the search results you will see Servicing.log
    or Servicing(0000).log depending on where the installation failed.

To directly go to the file, the Servicing log is in INSTALLDIR\Setup\Servicing.log or %temp%\Live Mesh\Servicing[0000].log if Live Mesh was uninstalled/rolled back during a failed installation

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.

Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.

If you do not have access to the Live Mesh Connect site, you can email your logs to lmprev@microsoft.com.  Please provide as much information about your issue as you can in that email.

Friday, May 16, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Hello Ben,

First, please accept my apology for taking so long to reply with the requested information. I am attempting to use Live Mesh on my work P.C. Thus, I needed access to the desktop to collect the log.

My Connect ID is TomKat9. Don't ask. I tried to take tomcat9, but it was already taken. I will submit the bug & log on Connect. However, I couldn't locate the LiveMeshLogs.cab. Why will become evident.

I'm running a Dell Dimension 3000, BIOS build at A03, XP 32-bit SP3, English language, 2 Gigs of RAM, with full admin rights & privileges, and a roaming profile (networked). 

Initially, Live Mesh installed without a hitch and worked great, except I wish the drag and drop capability was operational. 

I was able to shutdown my desktop without any issues. The problem arose when I logged in the next day. The AD profile won't load. To correct the problem, I renamed my original profile with an .OLD extension, allowing Windows XP to regenerate the profile. Upon a subsequent reboot, my profile was restored, but Live Mesh would no longer work. 

I tried to remove and reinstall the Live Mesh, hoping I could sync my work P.C. to the Live Mesh Desktop. With each attempt I keep getting the message: "This product is already installed. You can uninstall or repair the program using Control Panel. Get more help." 

My first attempt to correct the problem was to uninstall or repair the Live Mesh. However, it was not located in the Add/Remove Program applet. Then, I ran CCleaner, latest edition, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner - V 1.8, and finally 2008 JV16 PowerTools. Even JV16 PowerTools didn't find the program. I opted for Revo Uninstaller - still no success in locating the Live Mesh program.

I could navigate to the Live Mesh program folder. With the aid of Start Unlocker Assistant and JV16 Powertools, I was able to remove the program folder. I then reran the aforementioned registry cleaners. Still the problem persists. I can't connect my work desktop or reinstall the Live Mesh program.

In retrospect, I probably should've killed the roaming profile. I really don't need it. Yes, I have permission and access to modify network.  

I'm jumping over to Connect now to submit the bug and the Servicing.log. I will make another attempt to locate the LiveMeshLogs.cab file.

Thanks,
    Thomas
    Monday, May 19, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

You certainly don't need to apologize. :)  We appreciate your feedback, and I'm really sorry that this issue is consuming so much of your time and energy.

Thank you for the extra information.  I have your bug submission and I've forwarded it on to a couple other members of the team.  I've asked for input on other ways we might be able to get Live Mesh to uninstall or repair.

This is probably a long shot, but does the following location exist on your computer?

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\

That is the default location for the Live Mesh logs on a Windows XP computer.

I'll be sure to let you know if I learn anything else (and you should be notified through Connect if another member of the team finds a way to resolve your issue).

Thanks again for helping us test Live Mesh,

Ben.
    Monday, May 19, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Hi Ben,

I have parsed my hard drive. The location %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase does not exist.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, I appreciate the opportunity to test Live Mesh. This is a minor speed bump. I know that once it reaches the gold standard, it will be a great product. I've been searching for such a service as Live Mesh.

Thomas

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:15 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

Well, it was a long shot anyway - but I figured we ought to at least try. :)

The important thing, of course, is to determine a way to be able to repair or uninstall Live Mesh on your computer.  I'm going to keep monitoring this issue internally - I know that we have some people looking into it.  I hope that we can find a solution for you soon.

And thank you for the kind words; I'll pass them on to the team.

Ben.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Hi

I don't know if this is still a problem for people but I have just had a similar situation with one of my Vista machines, the system rebooted before the device got added to my mesh properly.  Subsequently I kept getting the same error as above about it already being installed, but of course there was nothing there to remove.  So I went digging around in my Appdata folder and came across a Live Mesh folder that conatined a setup folder, and in there was LiveMesh.msi.  When I ran this Live Mesh installed properly.

For Vista machines the path to the folder was AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Setup.

I don't know if this will help anyone but I thought I would mention it.

Thanks
    Dan
    • Proposed as answer by Zachary V Friday, November 7, 2008 8:02 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:38 PM