Computer cannot see WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I was working on setting up the external site in WHS and foolishly tried to test it from inside my home network from my main laptop lets call it "user account A" to avoid confusion . After trying, it eventually crashed my router.

Fast forward to today, I was able to access the external site from work just fine. I tried to log in from as user account A, which was also an administrator account, but not the main admin account, I tried a few times, maybe too many? I used logmein to log into the server over the web from work to create a new account that isn't an admin account so that I can access the external web interface. At the same time I removed "user account A" from the admin security.

Now when I got home from work, I went to my laptop, also user account A, and the connector software wont connect or find the server. When I go to the explorer my laptop can see the other systems in the house but not the WHS. Likewise the WHS cannot see this particular laptop. The other 2 laptops in the house can connect just fine to the WHS. I can RDP from my netbook into the WHS as well.

Any suggestions it seems that issue could very well be with the laptop that has user account A on it or that the WHS has blocked this laptop from connecting, is that possible?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 4:22 AM

Answers

• I forgot to mention that I finally got it to work last night. I had to renew the DHCP through the router on both the server and problematic laptop. Then I restarted the router, laptop, and WHS. Now everything is working great. Thanks for the replies.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, are you using the User Accounts tab in Windows Home Server Console to create your Users?  It sounds to me you are using the Windows 2003 Users management console. 

Windows Home Server doesn't do any blocking per se of users.  Though creating accounts without going through the User Accounts tab in the Windows Home Server Console could be the cause of that problem.

Can you ping your WHS by name and IP from the problematic PC.  If so try removing the user on the Windows Home Serve Console Users Tab that you are having a problem with and Adding them back in.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:19 AM
  • Yesterday I was working on setting up the external site in WHS and foolishly tried to test it from inside my home network from my main laptop lets call it "user account A" to avoid confusion . After trying, it eventually crashed my router.

Fast forward to today, I was able to access the external site from work just fine. I tried to log in from as user account A, which was also an administrator account, but not the main admin account, I tried a few times, maybe too many? I used logmein to log into the server over the web from work to create a new account that isn't an admin account so that I can access the external web interface. At the same time I removed "user account A" from the admin security.

Now when I got home from work, I went to my laptop, also user account A, and the connector software wont connect or find the server. When I go to the explorer my laptop can see the other systems in the house but not the WHS. Likewise the WHS cannot see this particular laptop. The other 2 laptops in the house can connect just fine to the WHS. I can RDP from my netbook into the WHS as well.

Any suggestions it seems that issue could very well be with the laptop that has user account A on it or that the WHS has blocked this laptop from connecting, is that possible?

Many home routers don't support looping back to the external IP address from within the local network, so your first issue isn't a surprise.

Accounts which have been placed into the local Administrators group on your home server are automatically barred from logging in to the Remote Access web site. This is done as a security measure because members of the local Administrators group have full control of resources on the server. So when you placed account A into the local administrators group, you prevented logging in through the Remote Access web site.

Regarding Remote Desktop: using Remote Desktop to connect to your server is unsupported . It works fine, and there are many issues that you will only be able to solve through the use of Remote Desktop, but there are also many tools available to you in a Remote Desktop session that can cause severe issues with your server. Among those tools are the user maintenance and disk management tools in Windows. The general rule of thumb for Windows Home Server is that you should never change anything outside the console, though looking is safe anywhere.

Al has suggested you try pinging your server from the problematic laptop; that's probably as good a place to start sorting out this client issue as any.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:45 PM
  • I was trying to ping it, I forgot to mention that.

I manage the users through the console, but I wanted to add a user to the Administrators security role so I had done that manually. I decided to remove the settings I had done manually after reading that I should manage through the console.

I wasn't aware that Remote Desktop was unsupported. I assume plugging a monitor/keyboard/mouse in and using the physical desktop is not supported as well?
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:49 PM
  • I forgot to mention that I finally got it to work last night. I had to renew the DHCP through the router on both the server and problematic laptop. Then I restarted the router, laptop, and WHS. Now everything is working great. Thanks for the replies.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Strictly speaking, desktop access of any sort is "unsupported". Don't let that keep you from poking around, but use a modicum of caution when you do. :) The warning that displays when you log into the server desktop should be taken seriously; there are tools available which can result in significant data loss if used improperly. As a point of reference, I haven't logged into my production server except through the console in probably 6 months; there's just no need. (I log into my test server via remote desktop regularly, however.)

As for rebooting the computers and router, possibly your router "hiccuped" (a technical term of sorts :) ). There was obviously a transient name resolution issue, which could have been router related, or related to either your server or the laptop with the issue. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 3:34 PM