Installing WHS on a Separate Partition RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a Dell SC420, 512MB, and 3 hard drives.  The Primary drive is partitioned (10GB - C: and 30GB - D).  The second drive F 40GB, and the third drive G 130GB.

I want to install WHS on G without erasing the partition(s) on C.  Is this possible?  I just bought WHS and was in the process of installing then I read the warning about erasing my existing drives, I STOPPED and pressed cancel ending the install.

Desired Outcome:  Install WHS on another partition without wiping out the C drive.  Please assist, advise and inform.  I appreciate any information.

TS2

Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:39 AM

Answers

• The short answer is no.  The purpose of WHS is to be a fully dedicated appliance.  It doesn't make sense to install it on a separate partition because you'll never use that partition for anything else anyway.

I have heard reports of users installing it on a virtual machine.  Beware, however, that WHS, especially before you install PowerPack 1, is very I/O intensive.  Since I assume you're just doing some testing, create a virtual machine G: and boot that virtual machine from the install DVD.  Don't configure the virtual machine to see any of the rest of your disks.

Installing WHS in a virtual machine is not supported but will hopefully let you do the testing you want to do.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:47 AM
  •  TrojanSpirit2 wrote:
    I have a Dell SC420, 512MB, and 3 hard drives.  The Primary drive is partitioned (10GB - C: and 30GB - D).  The second drive F 40GB, and the third drive G 130GB.

I want to install WHS on G without erasing the partition(s) on C.  Is this possible?

Yes.  Just disconnect the other drive.  But it will take your 130 GB drive and slice it into 2 partitions (C will be 20 GB and D will be 110, there will be no G at all).  Any drives hooked up at the time of installation will be formatted.  Any drives you add to the strorage pool afterwards will be formatted.

TrojanSpirit2 wrote:
    I just bought WHS and was in the process of installing then I read the warning about erasing my existing drives, I STOPPED and pressed cancel ending the install.

Desired Outcome:  Install WHS on another partition without wiping out the C drive.  Please assist, advise and inform.  I appreciate any information.

TS2

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

All replies

• The short answer is no.  The purpose of WHS is to be a fully dedicated appliance.  It doesn't make sense to install it on a separate partition because you'll never use that partition for anything else anyway.

I have heard reports of users installing it on a virtual machine.  Beware, however, that WHS, especially before you install PowerPack 1, is very I/O intensive.  Since I assume you're just doing some testing, create a virtual machine G: and boot that virtual machine from the install DVD.  Don't configure the virtual machine to see any of the rest of your disks.

Installing WHS in a virtual machine is not supported but will hopefully let you do the testing you want to do.
  •  TrojanSpirit2 wrote:

I want to install WHS on G without erasing the partition(s) on C.  Is this possible?

Yes.  Just disconnect the other drive.  But it will take your 130 GB drive and slice it into 2 partitions (C will be 20 GB and D will be 110, there will be no G at all).  Any drives hooked up at the time of installation will be formatted.  Any drives you add to the strorage pool afterwards will be formatted.

TrojanSpirit2 wrote:
    I just bought WHS and was in the process of installing then I read the warning about erasing my existing drives, I STOPPED and pressed cancel ending the install.

TS2

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

• Thanks, for the short answer, Smile.  I will simply create an image of that drive because I don't want to lose the OS and place it on my backup drive.  As for VMs I'm not that advanced and I'm just wanting to use WHS because I liked what I was able to do after my trial period ended, so I bought. 

Thanks

Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Yes, I also thought about disconnecting the drive but I also realized WHS would consume it if I reconnected it later.  So what I'll do is just create a backup image and then install WHS.

Thanks

Saturday, June 21, 2008 3:02 AM