WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

There has been a lot a talk about installing WSUS on WHS, pros and cons.

I'd like to instal it and test it, But what I'm looking for is a step by step install process. No use reinventing the wheel, any help would be great!

tks

Vince

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:30 PM

Answers

• Start with the Windows Server Update Services home. You're interested in the download, the guide to installing on SBS (the specifics aren't applicable, but the concepts are), then the step by step guide, all of which are linked from there.

Caveats that come to mind immediately:
    • Storage requirements are high. Add a disk to WHS that you won't add to the storage pool, and place WSUS files there.
    • You'll probably have some pain around getting IIS correctly reconfigured.
    • Computers enrolled with WSUS are won't update using the automated Windows Update tool. So a laptop that's removed from the WSUS environment for several months (kid in college, for example) will not download updates automatically.
    • WSUS on WHS is an unsupported scenario; if you hose up WHS somehow, there's not a lot of help outside the advice "Reinstall WHS, then don't use WSUS anymore."
    All that said, several people here have installed WSUS successfully; hopefully they will be able to provide additional information and gotchas.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:05 PM

All replies

• Start with the Windows Server Update Services home. You're interested in the download, the guide to installing on SBS (the specifics aren't applicable, but the concepts are), then the step by step guide, all of which are linked from there.

Caveats that come to mind immediately:
    • Storage requirements are high. Add a disk to WHS that you won't add to the storage pool, and place WSUS files there.
    • You'll probably have some pain around getting IIS correctly reconfigured.
    • Computers enrolled with WSUS are won't update using the automated Windows Update tool. So a laptop that's removed from the WSUS environment for several months (kid in college, for example) will not download updates automatically.
    • WSUS on WHS is an unsupported scenario; if you hose up WHS somehow, there's not a lot of help outside the advice "Reinstall WHS, then don't use WSUS anymore."
    All that said, several people here have installed WSUS successfully; hopefully they will be able to provide additional information and gotchas.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:05 PM
  • Hi Ken

Tks for info on the extra drive not placed in the storage pool, great idea! 

The reinstall WHS and don't use WSUS is all over the forms which is what I should do, but.....

I'll wait and see if someone that successfully installed WSUS with WHS will post the steps they took and then make my decission if I'll install it or not......

tks

Vince

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:16 AM
  • I installed WSUS 3 and had it running for about a week. The install was onto the C drive and it worked well, as in it worked well but performance was terrible . I would put an install routine up but I now consider WSUS to be a pointless service for anything less than 50 PC's.

It ate all my server resources, ram, cpu, and hard drive IO. And it was only tested on 3 PC's (which were up to date anyway). You will need dual core and 1-2Gb of ram to have decent performance with it. I had Athlon 3200+, 1Gb ram, IDE 400Gb drive at the time, It installs something similar to SQL server (didn't look like SQL or MSDE) but once that was loaded it all went to sh*t.

My opinion is the steer clear of it and use Auto Update.

Cheers

DB

Monday, July 16, 2007 2:58 AM
  • Hi DB

Tks for sharing your experience with WSUS on WHS. I have basicly the same same hardware, Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB, and ~2.86TB of mixed HD storage.

What steps did you take to install it?

Vince

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:28 AM
  • There are not that many steps if I remember, sorry for the lack of detailed description I didn't pay much attention to remembering the steps after I decided to remove it from RC1.

Download and install all required components (prereq, can be found by running WSUS 3 setup or at Microsoft.com)

Run setup and install onto C or D but not in a shared folder.

Not much else to report apart from make sure it detected and installs onto port 35xx I believe and not on port 80

Once it is installed, start the MMC console and be prepared for a real lack of performance :-) Do your setup, schedule downloads, and pick products etc, sit back and wait for everything to download (will be over 1Gb easy).

Also might need to get into IIS manager and allow anonymous access. - I never got around to setting clients up I was so frustrated with the performance.

Thats really about all I did, waiting was the key :-) but then again my DSL is not great after 5pm for all those downloads :-( and I didn't have any extra ram available for the server.

Hope this helps

Cheers

DB

Monday, July 16, 2007 8:12 PM
  • TKs DB

I just completed a workterm and they had WSUS 2.0 running on a:

- AMD Athlon XP 3000

- 1.5GB ram

- server 2003.

It wasn't slow at all, matter of fact it was fast for the hardware.. So WHS mus be missing  or causing problems with WSUS...

Note: they also has WSUS 3.0 on old hardware and it ran fine.????

Vince

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:21 PM
  •  VSawler wrote:

TKs DB

I just completed a workterm and they had WSUS 2.0 running on a:

- AMD Athlon XP 3000

- 1.5GB ram

- server 2003.

It wasn't slow at all, matter of fact it was fast for the hardware.. So WHS mus be missing or causing problems with WSUS...

Note: they also has WSUS 3.0 on old hardware and it ran fine.????

Vince

It was probably DE slowing him down, if he installed on D, that's why Ken suggested adding a disk without adding it to the storage pool. Wink

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:28 PM
  • I think you will find the difference between wsus2 and 3 quite large in terms of min requirements and the size of the install.

DE was not slowing it down. I haven't spent 10+ years managing servers and desktops in some of the worlds largest organisations to not know what is running and not running on my own servers.

SME, when it comes to PC.....well you are right......none there hehe

Monday, July 16, 2007 10:01 PM
  • Two different animals.

I guess we'll never know now, perhaps VSawler will have better luck than you did. Wink

Just when it comes to PC? Big Smile

Monday, July 16, 2007 10:07 PM
  • When I installed WSUS at work I told it not to store the updates locally which saves on needed space. Remote SQL is definately a must for an older machine. I have it running on a 1ghz P3 with remote sql server and is quick with 20 pcs. I plan to install WSUS 3.0 on WHS on a dual 1ghz P3 with 1gb ram. Likely it will run somewhat slow only due to the SQL. I did an install of WSUS on a 733mhz P3 512mb ram and MSDE SQL and was terribly slow. All of my testing is done by managing remotely with MMC 3.0. Will let you guys know my findings when load WSUS on WHS.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:39 PM