none
Win Vista HmPrm- Win 7 HmPrm RRS feed

• Question

• I was sent a Windows 7 upgrade for my HP touchsmart laptop during the upgrade period....  i however primarily run linux, and just dual booted linux/windows vista untill recently when i did some experimenting and ruined my mbr and wound up with no os.  I threw ubuntu back on there but recently i've been really enjoying windows.  My CD-ROM is broken -- so alas i was incapable of installing my recovery cds. 

My question -- i would really like windows back -- i can create a bootable flash drive of the retail version for Windows 7 home premium that my mom has -- however it would be a full install.  would this be ok and validate?  or is it NECESSARY to install vista then -- upgrade.  

Thanks.

Friday, April 1, 2011 6:39 AM

Answers

• I was sent a Windows 7 upgrade for my HP touchsmart laptop during the upgrade period....  i however primarily run linux, and just dual booted linux/windows vista untill recently when i did some experimenting and ruined my mbr and wound up with no os.  I threw ubuntu back on there but recently i've been really enjoying windows.  My CD-ROM is broken -- so alas i was incapable of installing my recovery cds. 

My question -- i would really like windows back -- i can create a bootable flash drive of the retail version for Windows 7 home premium that my mom has -- however it would be a full install.  would this be ok and validate?  or is it NECESSARY to install vista then -- upgrade.  

Thanks.

The HP 'upgrade' DVD is actually a Full OEM disk (probably) - If so, you should have no problem using that as the initial install mechanism.
    There's no reason not to try using your mother's Retail disk - again, if the HP Key is an OEM_NSLP Key as I suspect, then it should work with that disk, at worst you'll have to reinstall again using the proper disk.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, April 1, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Look at this item for instructions on using a flash drive (shortened)

http://bit.ly/hbaE9F

You really need to have your dvd drive repaired.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:56 PM
    Answerer

All replies

Thanks.

The HP 'upgrade' DVD is actually a Full OEM disk (probably) - If so, you should have no problem using that as the initial install mechanism.
    There's no reason not to try using your mother's Retail disk - again, if the HP Key is an OEM_NSLP Key as I suspect, then it should work with that disk, at worst you'll have to reinstall again using the proper disk.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, April 1, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Look at this item for instructions on using a flash drive (shortened)

http://bit.ly/hbaE9F

You really need to have your dvd drive repaired.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:56 PM
    Answerer